What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you grow your own herbs?

I grow my own thyme. It's a fairly tough plant and resists my ignoring it enough that I can get a few stems off it for my bbq grilled chicken. I grow some catnip for our cats too. That's about it for me on the home herb market.

no, I wouldn't know how to even start growing my own. I'd probably be accused of doing something illegal. LOL.

I have not tried either. I am not one to have a green thumb. I kill everything. Would love to grow my own though. fresh is best.

I wish I could grow my own, but I am terrible at gardening. I attempted to grow Basil with one of the 'plant in a bag' things at www.wishingfish.com and it died :(. So i buy them instead.

I tried growing my herbs once but I'm just not good when it comes to gardening. I know growing herbs has lots of benefits and can provide much satisfaction. I, for one, like pressing it for its oil. But growing it myself is just my frustration.

Ive just planted some seeds for chives and parsley. Im living in a unit and we have no yard, just a small concrete courtyard so Ive planted them in pots. Hopefully they grow!

Yes, those herbs will grow fine. Make sure you have them in at least 4" pots. Chives might feel more at home in a 6" pot as they spread. If you've started those seeds in smaller pots, then let them get 3 or 4 inchs high, them prepare another pot by placing enough soil in the pot to hold the bottom of the old pot so that it will sit at the top and transplant the plants by carefully lifting the entire plant and earth fro the one pot into the other. Try not to disturb the roots, and then fill around the plant in the new pot.

The biggest items to be concerned about is making sure you give the plants enough light and water. Without enough light, the herbs are going to be stalky as they will try to grow higher to reach more light. Without water they will dry and expire. Too much water is just as bad as too little so don't over water but simply check the pots every 2 or 3 days to see if they are still damp. If you need to water the pot, add a little water to the pot, let it soak in, and then add a little more.

Is now a good time to start planting herbs? I'm wanting to start growing some inside and just don't know when I should start them. I've noticed seeds in the stores already, so I'm figuring within the next month or so, I could get them into pots and in a windownsill.

You are making me think spring, this topic, and all the seed catalogs I have been getting in the mail. I have an herb garden and I grow a little of everything, and a lot of some things that try to take over. I have some chives, thyme, oregano, spearmint, chocolate mint, and terragon. I usually plant some rosemerry, chamomile, and scented geraniums in the spring. Lets go spring!

I've always wanted to try growing my own herbs, but never have gotten around to it. Maybe this summer I will. I was going to just grow a little in some pots; I don't need much.

Has anyone tried growing herbs in hanging pots? How do they do?

I'm thinking that the hanging pots might be my best bet to keep rabbits and whatnot out of them, but I don't know how well the herbs would do. I've tried growing various veggies in them and it turned out awful - my green thumb turned brown that year. :(

I tried to last year. But the rabbits ate them all. I'm gonna try to grow some again this year. Hopefully they won't get eaten by anything but me this time. LOL

I'm planning on picking up some herb seeds tonight! I can't wait to get them started!

medako -
putting in seeds tonight?????????
we are buried under snow and ice with the mercury disappearing in the thermometer it is so cold - and it is going to get colder and colder - and you're planting already!!!

oh no....not outside, that's for sure. I'm planning to plant inside and put them in a warm window....then I might move them outside into hanging baskets once it warms up a little more.

it's still so cold here too. It's actually warmed up to 50 today which is the highest it's been in weeks. The ice is still melting off, but at least we aren't expecting any more for a while.

medako -

we don't even have any mercury in the thermometer to look at - it must have gone south until the temps return to normal - and for us at this time of year that's anywhere from 10* F - 30* F.

it is so dang cold out there - I went out to shovel this morning and I lasted 5 minutes before I had to run in for 15 minutes to thaw a bit - and I had more layers on than a 10-layer salad!

but at least when it is this cold we have a less chance of getting snow!

that's just too cold! :eek: I think when it's that cold shovelling snow and ice should be banned and not leaving the warmth of home should be a law. ;)

We're expected to warm to 60 today. wooohooo! Of course, tomorrow is the party and it's supposed to drop to about 40F with a 40% chance of rain....lovely.

on topic....I ended up not getting seeds last night. The kiddo was on the tired side, so it was necessary stops only and then quickly home to bed.

No, I don't but I have an aunt who has an entire garden that she maintains and grows everything from parsley to chillies and eggplant to cabbage in her garden.
Unfortunately, my apartment doesn't get any sunlight :(

I like to grow spearmint, peppermint, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, and flat leaf parsley.
They are pretty easy to grow. and don't take much care just a bit fo trimming so that they grow more quickly.

Back