Sep 22  # 1 of 13
I know that sounds like a constrast in terms but I've seen sodium free bacon bits in a recipe before. I'm sure it's artificially flavored and not real bacon but it would really spice up a salad for someone who is restricted to about 1500 mg of sodium a day. Anyone know anything about this product?
Sep 22  # 2 of 13
It would all depend on how badly you want the flavor. Personally I am no lover of artificial bacon bits. It would seem a contrast to have salt-free smoked bacon and or ham, as it is my understanding that the salt is a part of the smoking process. I wish you luck in discovering healthy alternatives to these products, and let us know what you think when you try them!:)
Sep 22  # 3 of 13
I will but so far I've not found anything that tastes like bacon that has an acceptable level of sodium. Thanks for the reply Cathy.
Sep 22  # 4 of 13
You're welcome JP. I am wondering have you got any health food stores in your neck of the woods? I am thinking that perhaps you may receive a good deal of assistance from a knowledgeable Health Food Store clerk.

I used to have one where I could find all kinds of help when I needed it. I assume you already eat a good amount of fresh fruits and vegatables? I am just wondering if; for instance; you could eat some diced avacado wedges on your salad to help satisfy the need for something rich as a replacement for the bacon bits. I often find that a good avacado that is perfectly ripe will take care of any cravings I have for some greasy old bacon on my salad;) and oh so much better for my heart!!! I am just trying to guess ways to make you happy with your meals and still abide by the low-sodium restrictions. Of-course I grew up eating avacados and not all folks love and appreciate them like I do! I can eat them plain and add not a drop of salt or seasoning to them and they take care of any craving I have for something greasy & salty too. I am just thinking you may stumble upon something that is natural that will help to satisfy you 100%.

Boy I can not imagine how hard you must have it! I would be bonkers trying to avoid salt almost all together!
Sep 22  # 5 of 13
I can imagine how difficult it is to be without salt. How do you manage your sodium levels? Surely you must be suffering some side effects on this diet, I mean we all need salt, otherwise we would be seriously ill. How to you compensate in the hot weather or increase in fluid intake?

Cook Chatty Cathy
I adore avocado pears. I also eat them without anything. I just love the creamy natural texture. I often have one for lunch, just me an avocado and a teaspoon.:D