Sep 4  # 1 of 8
When it comes to appetizers and small bites, won ton wrappers can be the best friend you have. They are amazingly versitile and flexible.

For instance, create a filling. Whatever you like (I just made an incredible potato stuffing, f'rinstance).

Lay out about six wrappers. Brush them with an egg wash. Lay a couple of teaspoons of the filling inthe middle. Cover with a second wrapper, pressing down to seal. Then use a round cookie cutter to shape them. Presto! You've just made ravioli, which can be boiled, and sauced, or pan fried, and sauced, or deep fried, and sauced.

With my potoato version I pan fried in butter until they were browned, and set them aside in a warm oven. Then I chopped some fresh sage and sauteed it in the same butter, creating a sage & brown butter sauce, which was poured over the ravioli.

Or make a ground pork filling. Cut the skins round (or, if you're lucky, buy the round ones). Fold them over into half-moons, crimp the edges. You're on your way to making pot stickers.

Or use an appropriate filling to make mini-egg rolls.

Or, again, cut them round. Insert one wrap into mini-muffin tins (a shot glass helps you start them evenly. Bake at 375 for 3-5 minutes, let cool on wire racks. You now have edible cups you can fill with anything that strikes your fancy. Most recently I did a mixed batch of these, some filled with gorgonzola topped with pan-roasted pears, some with olive tappanade on a half cherry tomato, some filled with smoked salmon mousse and capers. Out of sight!

They'll keep, incidentally, in a zipper bag at room temp for at least three weeks.

Jullienne cut the won ton skins, deep fry them, and you have a crisp topping to use in lieu of croutons. Or to sprinkle into soups.

With a little imagination, and a pack or two of won ton skins, your next party will be a big success.
Sep 5  # 2 of 8
So can I make perogies with Won Ton skins? Without having to make the dough? You're saying simply use won ton skins instead? They're not as thick as the Mrs T's Perogies skins but they will probably do the trick.
Sep 5  # 3 of 8
Absolutely, Old Bay.

Won ton skins (and, of course, egg roll skins too, for something bigger) can substitute for any stuffed dumpling: pirogies, piroshki, ravioli, dim sum, knishes, you name it.

What I made the other night was essentially a pirogie. Only instead of folding a round wrapper in half, I sandwiched the filling between two wrappers, more like a ravioli. But the potato filling was more pirogie-like.

Yeah, the commercial ones are thicker. But the dough they use is softer, too. Any thinner and it wouldn't hold up to boiling. But the won tons are tough, and take all sorts of handling and cooking abuse.

If you boil them, add them one at a time to the water, and keep stirring, or else they're liable to stick to each other.
Sep 6  # 4 of 8
Sorry - do what you want - yes, won ton wrappers can be used for just about anything - but with this Italian woman - NOT FOR RAVIOLI! OMG - my ancestors are turning in their graves!!!

I make my dough - I don't care if it's 110* F. out - I'll still do it by hand.

(picture Sanford holding his heart right now - thats ME!!):eek:
Sep 6  # 5 of 8
Hold on Edith! It's not the end of the world, just a new idea. :)