Nov 7  # 1 of 16
Deviled Eggs:

6 hard-cooked eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, salad dressing or half-and half
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Paprika

Cut peeled eggs lengthwise into halves. Slip out yolks; mash with fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Fill whites with egg yolk mixture; heaping it lightly. Sprinkle top of eggs with paprika. Arrange eggs on large serving plate. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Nov 13  # 2 of 16
Hi Roxanne,
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I usually also sprinkle on a little chopped dried parsley and place slice of green olive w/red pimento center on top of each deviled egg for added color and flavor. These usually go like hot potatoes. Folks just tend to eat with their eyes too! Also if you haven't got dry mustard you can use regular old mustard that you use to squeeze on your hotdogs, it tastes good too.
In my opinion Deviled Eggs are the "comfort food" of all "comfort foods"!
:) Cathy
Nov 13  # 3 of 16
To kick these up a notch, mash some skinless/boneless sardines and mix with the yolks. This is a poor-man's version of Eggs A La Russe. True Eggs A La Russe use caviar.

I also have a cute little device that lets me make square hard-boiled eggs. For parties etc. I use it whenever making stuffed eggs, cuz it really gets the conversation going. Even more so if I first cube the eggs, turn them into Amish-style red beet eggs, then divide and fill.
Dec 25  # 4 of 16
Quote KYHeirloomer wrote:
To kick these up a notch, mash some skinless/boneless sardines and mix with the yolks. This is a poor-man's version of Eggs A La Russe. True Eggs A La Russe use caviar.

I also have a cute little device that lets me make square hard-boiled eggs. For parties etc. I use it whenever making stuffed eggs, cuz it really gets the conversation going. Even more so if I first cube the eggs, turn them into Amish-style red beet eggs, then divide and fill.

Please give me more info on the cubing of eggs, how is it done, by chopping them or putting them into a special device? What is a Amish style egg?
I am very interested in trying new things. Where did you get this device that lets you make square deviled eggs? How exactly do you make stuffed eggs? Is it just like making deviled eggs?
Dec 25  # 5 of 16
Hey, Loubear,

Good to see you back. What you been up to?

The egg cuber (try googling under that name) is a molding device. You peel a still-warm hard-boiled egg and put it in the mold. Eggs, while hot, are very plastic, and it soon takes the cubical shape of the mold. You then chill it, and it holds it's shape.

Stuffed eggs is just a more generic phrasing for deviled eggs, and encompasses all the variations on that theme. Eggs a la Russe, as referred to below, is just one version.

Red beet eggs are a way the Amish produce a lightly pickled & colored egg. Here's a basic recipe:

Hard boil a dozen eggs. Cool and peel.

Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar in a saucepan, and heat until sugars are dissolved. Add 1 quart canned beets with their juice. Pour this mixture over the eggs. Refrigerate at least 12 hours.

The longer the eggs stay in the mixture the darker they turn, and the deeper the color extends into the whites.