Jun 3  # 1 of 7
I went looking for a crab starter for last night. After modifying the following recipe very slightly, I wound up with the best crab dip I’ve ever had.

Below is the recipe as I found it on the net, with my notes below it.

Spicy Maryland Crab Dip

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
½ cup sour cream
2 tbls mayonnaise
1 ½ tbls lemon juice
2 tsp Worchestershire
1 tsp dry mustard
Garlic powder to taste
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
¾ pound fresh crabmeat
3 dashes hot sauce
Old Bay Seasoning to taste

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 1-quart baking dish

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worchestershire, dry mustard, garlic powder and about 2 tablespoons of the Cheddar cheese. Fold in crabmeat, hot sauce and 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese and seafood seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

Notes: My intention was to use this as a first course. So I cut the recipe in half, mixed in all of the cheddar, and topped with grated parmesano reggiano and a little smoked paprika.

This mixture filled 8 small (1/3 cup) ramekins, which I put on a baking sheet and slipped into the oven.

Meanwhile, I cut some small tortillas into wedges (8ths), laid them out on a second sheet, and popped them in the oven until they were browned and crisp.

For plating, I put one ramikin on a serving plate, surrounded by a half dozen of the chips.
Jun 3  # 2 of 7
:) Sounds truly scrumptous!!! I would think a tiny bit of horseradish wouldn't hurt either!

Thank so much for sharing!
Jun 3  # 3 of 7
I think you're right about the horseradish. Next time I'll add a little to see what happens.
Jun 4  # 4 of 7
This is one of those recipes that has gone right into my Spice Place recipes notebook! My other thought is...wouldn't this be good with lobster meat also!!!
Jun 4  # 5 of 7
Mebbe so. I'm not that big a fan of lobster, myself, so hardly ever play with it.

What I'm hoping is that we'll catch enough crabs next week to do all sorts of experiments.