Jun 20  # 1 of 6
So, I had one smallish Spanish mackerel left from our recent OBX trip. Decided to experiment with it as a starter dish, and came up with this.

Cut an avocado crossways into rings. You have to take your time doing this. Cut down to the pit, circling the fruit, then gently rock and lift the ring off the pit. Alternatively, make your first cut at the thickest point and separate the two halves. This will allow you to remove the pit in the normal manner. Then slice into rings.

Peel the rings and gently toss them with equal parts of fresh lemon juice and avocado oil seasoned with salt & pepper. Chill.

Filet the mackerel and lay skin-side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, brush lightly with maple syrup, and broil, brushing with more maple syrup when about halfway done.

Let the filets cool, and remove the skin. Flake the fish. Mix with just enough mayo to bind the fish, a squirt or two of hot sauce, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Chill.

To assemble: Arrange avocado rings on a plate. Mound the fish mixture inside the rings. Sprinkle with a little fresh lemon zest.

I'm guessing this would work equally well with any mild, flaky fish.
Jun 21  # 2 of 6
KYH this sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Avacado: it has never occured to me to eat it sliced that way for a salad!

Thank you so much for sharing! I am most surely making this, maybe not w/ Mackrel but it sounds like a terrific summer meal!
Jun 21  # 3 of 6
Very nice, Chef KYH!
Jun 21  # 4 of 6
Not to start up anything, Chubby, and while I appreciate the thought, I am not a chef. A good home cook, perhaps. A old-hand short order cook, for sure. But let's not insult those those work very hard at their trade to become Chefs by bandying the title around.
Jun 21  # 5 of 6
Cathy, I'd never though of slicing avocado crossways either. You can thank Rachael Ray for that little trick, although the mechanics of how we accomplish it are slightly different.

Obviously, the fatter the avocado the better this works. The size of the Hass cados in the market this time of year means you better figure on one per person, and getting three decent rings from each.

Use the trimming in another dish. Or just as a reward for the cook.