What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sodium in Processed Food

T

tinker

I think the impact of all the salt in processed foods is way understated. Plus, all that extra sugar and salt tends to mask true flavor. Probably one of the best reasons to cook it yourself. Any thoughts or stories to share?

I agree with you tinker. All of those foods that state no preservatives are only talking about the complex chemical preservatives like BHA, and BHT. But salt and sugar have been used forever as a preservative.

I can't handle a Virginia ham no matter how long you try to soak them to get the salt out.

Everyone loves salt as a seasoning, it's a natural taste and so people don't tend to associate it as a preservative any more. But 300 years ago it was probably the leading food preservative. These days it's the non-preservative preservative.

We tossed the salt shaker years ago and we only buy the salt free vegatables in cans, or the frozen vegetable, since they don't need the salt added. We prefer the frozen vegetable over the canned anyway, so we mostly but frozen veggies.

That doesn't solve the canned food issue for tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. We only buy the low soduim variaties of those like Muir Glen.

You know, I have to admit I'm kind of a salt addict. My compromise is that I only put salt on food after I have tasted it. Slowly I've cut down on my salt intake. I did start being a pain at McD's though and ask for unsalted fries. It gets you fresh ones, too. : )

I agree, the more processed the food is, the greater the sodium. Yet another reason to cook it fresh!

I'm a saltaholic too, but I don't salt my food at the table very much. I guess I'm just drawn to foods that are salty anyway. I would much rather snack on some chips than cookies, for instance.

Salt has been used in all parts of the world since forever. Maybe that's why people don't get to notice how pervasive and often its use is--they're very used to it. Some people can be really cranky and would describe a food bland if it has no salt in it.

I agree, the overuse of salt these days is a huge problem. I'm trying to cut down my families intake. I stopped buying regular salt and now buy the salt with 1/2 the sodium. I think next time I will buy the no-salt seasoning that is supposed to taste like salt.

do you have some good ways to keep sodium down in your own foods? I like to use Sea salt, and extra herbs and veggies to mask the missing salt. What do you do?

I'm a saltaholic as well. I have switched to only using Sea Salt because it is better for you since it is just seawater evaporated without any of the chemicals used in mining regular table salt. It also has a less salty taste than regular table salt. You also use less since the sea salt granulars are usually larger than the fine grains of table salt. Since my husband does not use salt I add the salt after the food is cooked which is better for preserving the beneficial minerals of the sea salt.

I haven't touched a salt shaker in 20 years so you saltaholics can change. You're getting plenty of salt through regular foods you eat like ketchup and pickles. Toss out the salt shaker while salt tastes good to us it make use retain water and may cause yet unknown troubles since it's only recently that were usings alt in such quantities.

I cook and bake with kosher salt and sea salt - it is put into the cooking while it's cooking - none is added later - and I am not a saltaholic! I try to stay away from processed foods for that reason!

There is just so much salt in any food in a box or a bottle in the grocery store. I can say that about 90% of the time when I pickup something that looks interesting to try, especially sauces and marinades, the daily value of the sodium in the food is over 50% dv per serving and I put the product back on the shelf. Why pay $4.00 for that secret sauce that is really just salt and water? I bought a Korean rib seasoning once, without looking at the label, that contained 3,000mg of sodium per serving.

I like to flavor without salt. Garlic, Red Pepper and Onion are the easiest to get right. They flavor well with many foods including beef and chicken as well as rice and potatoes.

Thyme with chicken is good in the right amounts. 1/4 tsp of Cumin adds a nice taste to hamburgers; mix it in to a 1/4 lb of beef and then form into a patty. Lemon juice (or some lemon rind) with some Basil tastes great with shrimp and chicken.

A little Anise seed (1/4 tsp) and 1/4 cup raisins will flavor up some rice. Add them to the water right before adding the rice.

We prefer the frozen vegetable over the canned anyway, so we mostly but frozen veggies.

That doesn't solve the canned food issue for tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. We only buy the low soduim variaties of those like Muir Glen.

Never assume even with the frozen veggys. Some of the "Seasoned" ones are loaded with sodium. And the No Salt Added (NSA) canned tomato sauce and diced means the last one to handle them didn't add any more, however, if you can dice fresh ones you will lower the sodium quite a bit.

Sodium on food labels

I need to watch my sodium intake so I always check the food labels for sodium when seeking new canned food items.

Max - fresh veggies are best - but sometimes you can't get good ones so frozen is next in line to use - canned have tons of sodium.
Homemade and fresh is always best - if you want something and it's got too much sodium in it - just ask - we may have a recipe to make it with less sodium.

low sodium canned tomatoes or beans

I use frozen vegetables in most of my home cooking.

When I refer to canned veggies I mean just canned tomatoes and canned beans.

When using the canned beans I always drain them into a colander and rinse the beans with lots of cold water.

If you must use a canned vegetable try to find one listed as (NSA) No-Salt-Added. It still has salt in it but not as much. Problem is that I can only find them in tomato products, certain corn and green beans or English peas. Even then the fresh or frozen is better.

I read somewhere years ago that if one eats away from home and automatically salts one's food before eating it, it means you've eaten there before! There are many salt substitutes on the market today and nearly none of them taste especially satisfying or even good, to me. I've found over time that using herbs and spices such as basil (in particular) does add flavour and masks the absence of salt if you leave it out at cooking. Most restaurants in this area don't salt food prior to serving it and that's a plus. But I've gotten fries at McDonalds that are gag-you salty and occasionally this happens in major eating establishments as well.

I stopped adding salt to food when cooking or eating about 30 years ago. That is when I found out I had high blood pressure. The hardest thing to not salt for me was fried eggs. But without it you can taste the eggs. Ever so often I feel the need for salt. When I do I like salted fruit. I know the body needs salt, but I like for it to tell me so. I am sure I get plenty. I use spice for flavor. CF:)

Morning, CF - I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only person I know who has to remain pretty much saltless due to high blood pressure. Every once in a while I get a yen for the stuff and then, like you, I enjoy a bit of salted fruit or perhaps some nuts or the like. Just a few, though - don't get carried away.

Here are a couple more vacation photos for your "tour" - the one is of Dublin Castle and the others are some of the sights in Holland I thought you might enjoy.

Today is hazy, hot and downright unhealthy outside, so I'm hiding out inside.
It's such a complete departure from England - except at night when the rowdies are apparently trying to burn the city down!! :(

Dublin_castle - Dublin, Ireland.jpg

Dutch Tulip gardens in Amsterdam.jpg

Attachments

• Dublin_castle - Dublin, Ireland.jpg
    Dublin_castle - Dublin, Ireland.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 8
Back