What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

making icecream

B

ButterSticks

in a juicer ...

the booklet outlines mixing the ingredients, which include eggs, then homogenizing.

I have to figure out what they mean by homogenizing, but I'm concerned about the raw eggs. Is this safe?

Ive made ice cream a few times. It is a lot of work and in all honesty, aside from being a little sweeter and creamier...it tasted exactly like Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. As far as homogonizing, as I recall, you have to boil the milk and cream....cant remember for sure. I just remember it was a lot of work and the result was basically something you can buy in the store.

We have made Icecream from snow. I did not care to eat it. It did not seem sanitary. But everyone else seemed to like it and no one got sick.

This is a great opportunity to do a kids project. Get 2 big freezer zip locks and inside the first put milk (and chocolate syrup or strawberry)... zip it REALLY REALLY tight. In the 2nd bag put the 1st bag, ice cubes and LOTS of salt. Once again zip it very tightly and then let the kids go to town shaking it. It melts much faster than normal ice cream... but it's still fun to do.

I have been wanting to make homemade ice cream for a long time it taste so good.

home made ice cream is a pain to do, its better to buy it then to make it. More effort, time and money wasted when you can just by it with little effort, little time

home made ice cream is a pain to do, its better to buy it then to make it. More effort, time and money wasted when you can just by it with little effort, little time

This is often true. We have a cuisnart ice cream maker that we used a lot this summer and it cost more more the supplies and didn't taste as good, thought it was yummy of course!

We have made Icecream from snow. I did not care to eat it. It did not seem sanitary. But everyone else seemed to like it and no one got sick.

I love to do this what all do you put in it I think we added sugar and vanilla.
what did you add?

We had a recipe for homemade icecream with pudding when I was younger... it was so yummy. If I can find one like it online or if my mom still has it in her recipe box, I will be sure to post it!

I have looked at the ice cream makers for the last few summers and debated on whether to purchase one or not. I guess it was smart not to purchase one especially if it isn't worth it. Plus I am not a big icecream eater.

I make ice cream rather than buy it. If we buy ice cream, my husband will just eat it every night until it's gone. I've found that I can make it fairly inexpensively and less quanity. That way we don't have extra sitting around to eat day after day.

I make it in a cuisinart ice cream machine. 2 c. of milk per one pkg of pudding mix. It's that simple.

That actually would be make it better inexpensive and less quantity.

Medako, since you are making it with Pudding does it taste creamier? I have heard about making ice cream with pudding but never tried it. However, I see where that can be cheaper than making it with the ice cream mixes.

I remember as a kid the neighbors doing that, and the kids loved it. Of course my parents were alarmed and pointed out how dirty the snow is...That's what snow does, it goes through the layers of pollution in the atmosphere before settling down on the ground. But no one seemed any worse for the wear.

when making snow ice cream, you don't use the first snow of the season (that's the one that's going to be LOADED with pollutants) and you need to make sure the snow is deep enough that when you're gathering it, you're not scraping the ground. :)

I have my Mother's Cuisinart ice cream maker and have only used it twice to make ice cream. Once I took the time and trouble to buy cherries and pit them to make cherry vanilla ice cream. It was lots of work but tasted great. I also made chocolate ice cream which tasted better than most brand ice cream you buy with the exception of Godiva Belgium Chocolate ice cream. It does seem easier to buy it at the store compared witht he time it takes to make it at home even when you have an ice cream maker.

aeiou - after reading your post I wanted to share this with you -

Chocolate Chunksicles
You will need 8 juice boxes and popsicle sticks for this.

2 cups whole milk
5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
3 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 can (16 1/2 ounces) bing cherries in heavy syrup, drained and halved
1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped*

1. Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil.

2. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in mixing bowl until thick and pale-colored. Add one-third of hot milk to yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and stir until smooth. Pour into metal bowl and cool. Stir in vanilla and heavy cream. Freeze for 4 hours.

3. Cut off top of each juice drink box and place on a baking sheet in freezer. Place the chopped chocolate, cherries and almonds on baking sheet in freezer.

4. When the chocolate custard mixture is semi-frozen, turn into food processor bowl. Cover and process until slushy. Stir in frozen chocolate, cherries and almonds. Divide mixture into 8 juice drink boxes, filling to the top. Place in freezer for 15 minutes. Insert popsicle stick in each and freeze for 3 hours more.

*To toast almonds, spread on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.

Back