What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apples

P

PoorGirl

What can I do with a lot of apples? I have some that are about to go bad, Not really much for apple sauce.

Old-Fashioned Apple Bread

Yield: 1 loaf pan (9 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 2 1/2")

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups peeled and diced apples, moistened with lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chopped raisins or dates
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour milk

Cream together butter and sugar and add beaten egg, stir in fruit and nuts. Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk. Place in a loaf pan; let stand for 10 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F until cooked, about 1 hour. Serve plain or buttered.

Cupcakes

Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full with batter, bake at 400 degrees F approximately 30 minutes. Makes approximately 12 cupcakes. Combine 4 tbsp. icing sugar with 1 tbsp. applesauce, brush mixture over cupcakes.

Apple Butter

Yield: 4-5 8 oz. jars

16 cups sliced, tart apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ginger

Cook apples with juice until apples are soft. Press through sieve or food mill. Measure volume. To each cup of pulp add 3/4 cup sugar, add spices; mix and cook until thick; depending on variety of apples used, it will take 2-3 hours. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal with paraffin

Easy Apple Dessert

Yield: 6-8 servings

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 cups peeled, wedged apples
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

Into a bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tbsp. of sugar. Cut in butter, mix well. Press mixture firmly on bottom and sides of a 8" well-greased square pan. Arrange apple wedges on pastry. Sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Blend egg and sour cream or yogurt, pour over apples. Bake 30 more minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Apple crisp is really yummy, as are baked apples.

I love fried apples pies here is how my mom told me to make them.
Cut apples
oil for frying
add 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar
if you would like add some cinnamon also

then get a can of biscuits roll the biscuits out add a little fried apple fold over mash the ends with a fork then fry them until they are brown.

These things are yummy.

My mom use to make apple crisp for us when we were kids. It is easy to make and does not require you having perfect apples. Yum...I think I will make this for myself soon.

Ingredients in Apple Crisp
4 cups Apple Slices
1 cup Flour
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp McCormick Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp McCormick Ground Nutmeg
1/2 cup Softened Butter
Lemon Juice

To make Apple Crisp

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish (oven proof).
3. Peel, core, and slice apples (sprinkle with lemon juice to retard browning)
4. Put sliced apples in baking dish.
5. In a separate bowl combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and softened butter
6. Mix with a pastry blender until topping mixture is crumbly.
7. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over apples.
8. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until apples are tender and topping is slightly crusty and brown.

I say apple butter, a ton of apple pies (if you have a big freezer and can freeze them for later), or applecake.

Papaya-Apple Salad
4 apples, peeled and diced
2 cups pineapple, diced
2 cups papaya, peeled and diced
1 cup thick cream
1 can fruit cocktail
Sugar to taste

* Combine all the ingredients.
* Toss slightly with thick cream.
* Add sugar to taste. Chill.
* Garnish with sliced peaches.
* Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Apple And Avocado Smoothie
Ingredients:
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, skin on
1/2 ripe Hass avocado
1/2 apple juice
1/2 cup ice
3 sprigs mint leaves
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine all ingredients together in a blender and pulse until ice is incorporated. Then puree until smooth.

My mom always made apple pies out of apples like that. So that would be a good thing to make with them.

I love baked apples with cinnamon and sugar. They are so good. Kind of like the kind they serve at Cracker Barrel. :D

Back