What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corn on the cob seasonings?

B

ButterSticks

I usually just boil it, but for the first time I barbecued corn on the cob wrapped in foil (with the husks on and without) and it was perfect each time and so easy . Now I need to experiment with things besides butter/marge & salt to season it- any ideas?

Bacon Wrapped Corn on the Cob

8 large ears sweet corn
8 slices bacon
2 tablespoons chili powder

Wrap each ear of corn with a slice of bacon. Place each one on a
piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle with chili powder. Wrap
securely, twisting the ends to make handles. Place uncovered over
medium-hot grill for 20 minutes or until corn is tender and bacon is
cooked, turning once.

Grilled Corn on the Cob With Herbs

6 fresh ears yellow and/or white sweet corn ; (with husks)
6 tablespoons butter or margarine ; softened
36 sprigs or leaves of cilantro or basil
100 -percent cotton kitchen string
Lime ; or lemon juice

1. Carefully peel back corn husks, but do not remove. Remove and discard the silks. Gently rinse corn. Pat dry. Spread softened butter or margarine evenly over each ear of corn. Space 6 herb sprigs or leaves evenly around cob, gently pressing herbs into butter. Carefully fold husks back around tops of cobs. Tie husk tops with kitchen string.
2. Grill corn on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium coals for 25 to 30 minutes, until kernels are tender, turning and rearranging with long-handled tongs three times. Or, grill corn indirectly on the rack of a covered grill, arranging coals around the edge of the grill. Place corn on the rack above the cneter of the grill, and cook 25 to 30 minutes, until kernels are tender, turning and rearranging three times.
3. To serve, remove the string from corn. Peel back husks. If desired, squeeze lime juice over cilantro corn or lemon juice over basil corn. Makes 6 servings.

Milk Boiled Sweet Corn on the Cob

6-8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
1 1/4 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter

1. Fill a large stock pot (about an 8-quart) half full with water.
2. Add in the milk, salt, sugar and butter.
3. Bring to a boil, then add in the corn cobs.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow corn to cook for 8-12 minutes, or until tender, depending on size of corn (try not to over cook the corn as it will become tough!).

Roasted Corn With Garlic & Basil Butter

Garlic and Basil Butter (see below)
6 ears of corn, fresh, with husk

Remove the husks from the corn, reserving a few of the dark leaves. Pull back, but do not remove, the pale green inner leaves. Remove and discard all of the corn silk. Rub the corn completely with the roasted garlic and basil butter. Pull the still attached leaves back up and around the corn. Cut one of the longer dark green leaves into long, thin, 1/4-inch wide strips. Tie the strips around the top of the corn to hold the husks in place. Place the corn on the grill side that is opposite of the coals. Cover the grill and cook until the corn is tender and the husks have turned brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve hot with the garlic and basil butter on the side.

Garlic & Basil Butter --

1 garlic clove (or more to taste)
1/4 lb unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp loosely packed basil leaves, to taste, chopped fine
1/2 tsp salt, to taste
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

Prepare the roasted garlic by baking whole cloves with the top sliced off. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 350* until softened, about a half-hour. When cool enough to handle, remove the roasted garlic pulp to a bowl. Mash the roasted garlic into a paste before combining it with the butter, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well to thoroughly combine. The butter is ready to use right away or wrap and seal it tightly before refrigerating or freezing.

this post makes me sad ... if it aint broke, dont fix it. *laughs*

yumm sweet corn, you can try cheese powder and butter, but that's not very nutritious, hehe

So what if it's not nutritious? It tastes so good, you have to treat yourself to something like that once in awhile.

I like my corn sweet so before I cook it I put it in a big pan with water and sugar. I let it sit in there for a few hours and then I put it on the grill. It is sweet and juicy. Putting it on the grill makes it taste even better.

Back