What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Mashed Potatoes

B

ButterSticks

I am making some steaks tonight and want to have garlic mashed potatoes with them. My problem is that everytime I make homemade mashed potatoes they come out watery tasting or very very bland. Any tips on good homemade mashed potatoes. I bought small red potatoes and was planning on leaving on the skin cause I love mashed potatoes like that. Any tips are appreciated.

Drain well; return to pan and heat, stirring to "dry" out more (do not burn or brown); add a bit of milk, butter, salt and pepper; parsley if desired. If desired add sour cream and/or cream cheese. Beat well.

I always just boil and watch that you don't OVER boil them... drain them, return to pan and add a GLOB of butter. Get the mixer going and if they seem to dry, add more butter. I know it's not the healthy way to do it, but they come out really creamy that way.

I had cream cheese to my mashed potatoes. It give the potatoes a nice creamy taste. My mom puts 1/2 cup of sour cream in hers. I prefer the cream cheese. I use butter and salt also. Make sure you drain your potaotes well so they will not be watery.

I usually use boxed mashed potatoes when I want the flavored ones. Here's a recipe from Kraft Food & Family Magazine:

No-Fuss Smashed Potatoes

2 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into chunks
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 cup Miracle Whip
1/4 cup Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley

1.) Add potatoes and garlic to large saucepan of boiling water; cook 20 min. or until tender. Drain; return to saucepan.

2.) Mash potatoes and garlic with dressing and Parmesan cheese until light and fluffy.

3.) Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.

Cheese in mashed potatoes? That's an interesting twist, never had that. Sounds tasty, this is something I will be sure to apply.

Also you can add 1 tsp of finely chopped garlic for a garlic mashed potato. I like the prepared garlic when doing this as it's soft and whips into the potatoes well.

I had cream cheese to my mashed potatoes. It give the potatoes a nice creamy taste. My mom puts 1/2 cup of sour cream in hers. I prefer the cream cheese. I use butter and salt also. Make sure you drain your potaotes well so they will not be watery.

I have tried this where you add the cream cheese to the mashed potatoes and it is really good I would make it this way if I were you.

This is how I make mine...I boil the potatoes until they're just soft, drain well, add butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, milk, parsley, garlic, & bacon bits. It's really good. :) I think the key is draining the potatoes well. After that, everything is whatever you think tastes good.

If you want some awsome mashed garlic potatoes roast your garlic in the oven in tinfoil still in the skins, drizzle the garlic with olive oil and bake for about 1 hour. Boil your potatoes, drain, mash with butter and cream, and squeeze the roasted garlic into the mash, it is just marvelous

Bacon bits - now that is something I am going to try in mine. We love mashed potatoes around here.

I've never heard of using Miracle Whip. That's different.

Here's a tip on keeping your mashed potatoes from being watery. Make sure they are sufficiently cooled prior to puting them back into your pot for mashing. Let them "steam off" first.

I remember for a while we had these awesome mashed potatoes that had mayo and cream cheese in them...They were awesome...but now nobody can find the recipe :(

cookforkids, that sounds like mashed potato salad to me! Yum!

I remember for a while we had these awesome mashed potatoes that had mayo and cream cheese in them...They were awesome...but now nobody can find the recipe :(

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for - and of course - like every other recipe - you can adjust the measurement to your taste:

2 lbs. potatoes, cooked until tender (drained, peeled, diced)
1 cup mayonnaise
3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped red onion - optional

Well - you know how to make mashed potateos - I don't need to tell you that.

Yum! With cream cheese, chives and bacon bit. That sounds good. sour cream, salt, pepper too. I always want to run to the store after I come here and read/post for a bit!

Thank You So Much!!!!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for - and of course - like every other recipe - you can adjust the measurement to your taste:

2 lbs. potatoes, cooked until tender (drained, peeled, diced)
1 cup mayonnaise
3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped red onion - optional

Well - you know how to make mashed potateos - I don't need to tell you that.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I am so excited about getting to have these again!!! :D :D :D :D

Back