What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage/Yard Sale

B

ButterSticks

I think I have about talked myself into having a yard sale this Saturday. I am rather nervous though, because I have never done one before. Do you have yard sales? Do you shop yard sales? Any tips you can give.

I am planning to put an ad in the garage sale section of the local paper (only 7.95 and that includes several signs to put up) I don't have a clue how much change to get. I am trying to price things but I am running into some that I think $10 is too high, and $5 is too low, is it okay to do $7 or $8 or should I stick to 'round' numbers? If things aren't all on tables, but the old sheet on the ground routine does that deter you from stopping at the sale?

I think my ad will read "123 Sample St, Saturday 8-12 Household items, entertainment center, lots of baby things" What do you think? There is a 15 word limit or you pay 30¢ for each extra word.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like you know what your doing. Remember there are alot of people that will try and talk you down on your prices. I think that putting stuff on tables and on sheets will work just fine, if you could I would try and hang up some of the nice clothes so that they will be easier to see.

Goodluck I hope that you do well let us know how the sale goes.

I always say I'm going to have one but can never get up the energy needed to get it together maybe next year

things on sheets makes me want to stop even more. Usually it means that you have LOTS of stuff and good prices. Just put the price on that would make you happy. And don't be afraid to say no to offers. Also dont be afraid to say yes.

I only ask 1 favor for all of us that love yard sales -- PLEASE price things LOL Nothing I hate more than going to a sale and seeing NO price. Makes me feel aweful when I pick something up and think well, I'll pay $1 for this... and say How much? And they're like $20.... *laughs*

And before you start sticking things out for sale, look some of them up on ebay. You'd be suprised at what you have that's worth way more than what you think.

My husband sells on Ebay, we found we can make way more there then at a yard sell, if you have the patience for something like that... I don't, but he does. :)

My husband sells on Ebay, we found we can make way more there then at a yard sell, if you have the patience for something like that... I don't, but he does. :)

I tried the ebay thing and I didn't make that much at all I don't even think that it was worth my time what all does your husband sell on ebay?

My mom makes wood products that he sells for her. He got done selling some clothes, toaster, motor.. lots of misc. things for friends/family/people he works with. He really, really enjoys it.

My mom makes wood products that he sells for her. He got done selling some clothes, toaster, motor.. lots of misc. things for friends/family/people he works with. He really, really enjoys it.

well I don't have any of those things to sell so maybe that is one reason why i didnt do that well on ebay.

I sell just about anything on ebay that i can make at least $10 profit on. I bought a box of books for $1 one time ... sold ONE BOOK for $800.

I sell just about anything on ebay that i can make at least $10 profit on. I bought a box of books for $1 one time ... sold ONE BOOK for $800.

wow $800 was that book made of gold or somethign what was so special about it? tell me what book it was so that I can see if I have one just laying around here boy if i found it that baby would be gone lol.

Ok you know what - I was wrong on the price. We sold a radio receiver that we bought for $5 for $800. The book went for $1300. It was a copy of The Yearling, signed by the illustrator. I personally thought "big woop-dee-do *rolls her eyes* But someone thought "WOOOPEEEEE" lol

My mom used to have yard sales all the time. Sound like you know what you're doing. I think you'll be fine. :) Whatever doesn't sell (or things that you think you might get more money from) you could always sell it on eBay.

Ok you know what - I was wrong on the price. We sold a radio receiver that we bought for $5 for $800. The book went for $1300. It was a copy of The Yearling, signed by the illustrator. I personally thought "big woop-dee-do *rolls her eyes* But someone thought "WOOOPEEEEE" lol

OH I wish that I had a copy of that book but nope I don't I would say the big thing was that it was signed my the illustrator. boy wish that I had one.

Yeah I wish I had it too! I could use $1300 right now. *laughs*

Back