What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should I bring to a potluck?

B

ButterSticks

I have a meeting to go to this Friday, and it's a potluck. I need some ideas as to what to bring. It's only for about 6-7 people. The main dish is taken care of, it's a chicken cassarole. I don't want to bring the normal stuff like pop, chips, veggies w/ dip. Nor do I want to bring a dessert...that's what I did last year.

Any ideas??? I would prefer it somewhat easy (not a lot of prep earlier in the day), different, and of course tasty!!!!!

Country Green Beans

1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fully cooked ham
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender.

CREAMED CORN

2 (15 oz) cans whole kernel corn, drained
2 Tblsps butter or margarine
2 Tblsps flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Pour corn into a medium size baking dish. In a small saucepan, melt butter, mix in flour add milk and mix well to make a white sauce. Remove from heat when thickened. Add this and cheese to corn in baking dish and mix well. Cover and bake in 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.

Bean Salad

1 can (10 oz.) green beans
1 can (10 oz.) yellow beans
1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Dash cayenne

Drain beans. Combine in a large bowl with green pepper and onion.

Make dressing: in a small saucepan combine the sugar, vinegar, oil and seasonings.

Bring to a boil over medium heat to melt the sugar.

Pour dressing over the beans and toss to mix all together. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Asian Slaw

* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Pinch white pepper
* 3 cups prepared broccoli slaw or prepared cole slaw

Serve: In large bowl mix mayonnaise, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add vegetables; toss. Makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings.

Corn Salad

2 cups cooked corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped pimento
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Combine corn, green pepper, celery, onion and pimento together in a large bowl.
In a small bowl mix the oil, vinegar and seasonings. Stir to mix well.

Pour the dressing over the corn mixture and toss gently to mix.

Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Bruschetta is an easy and very yummy dish to bring to a pot luck and is not difficult to make :).

Cracker Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
24 butter crackers, such as Ritz
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
10 small, skinned chicken drumsticks or about 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch-wide strips
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon water
1. Heat the oven to 400°. Combine the crackers, Parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. (If you don't have a food processor, you can crush the crackers in a sealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl or a sheet of waxed paper.

2. Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, honey, and water until blended. Dip the drumsticks or breast pieces into the egg mixture, then dredge them in the cracker mixture. Place the chicken on a lightly oiled baking sheet.

3. Bake drumsticks for 15 minutes, then turn them over and bake for 20 minutes more or until the chicken is tender and the coating golden. Bake chicken strips for 16 to 20 minutes, turning once. Serves 8 to 10.

Vegetable Fried Rice

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and patted very dry
1 small red bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
4 scallions, thinly sliced
6 cups cold cooked white or brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 cups bean sprouts
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the tofu, tossing it frequently, until it turns deep golden brown all over. Slide the tofu onto a large plate.

2. Heat the remaining oil and cook the red pepper, celery, and ginger in it for 2 minutes. Add the scallions and cook for 30 seconds more, then stir in the rice and tofu. Drizzle on the soy sauce and sesame oil.

3. Toss the rice well and cook it for 2 more minutes or until heated through. Gently stir in the bean sprouts. Serve at once, or cool and reheat within 48 hours. Serves 8 as a side dish.

How about Chili with some tortilla chips and a cheese sauce? That's what I always bring into work for the holidays, and it works great with a crock pot. You could vary it some with a nice bread like pita bread, sourdough bread or Italian bread instead of tortillas.

Greg

If you are looking for an appetizer dish you could try a layered taco dip. You can put it in a deep dish pie plate or any nice round semi tall serving dish. You take a can of re-fried beans and spread them on bottom of the dish. Spread a layer of sour cream on top of the beans. Spread a layer of salsa or taco sauce on top of the sour cream. Top with sharp cheddar cheese. Serve with large tortilla chips. This dish is always a hit at the parties I attend.

Hey muslgrl, that sounds like a nice healthy lunch or dinner dish. I think I have all of the items around so will try your recipe out.

When we are having a pot luck and we are too lazy to be creative, we usually bring spaghetti. People in our place just love spaghetti.

Back