What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Tortillas That Never Died

B

ButterSticks

I have had some corn tortillas in my refrigerator for eons; never got around to eating them, but, 'cause my parents were the kind that made you sit at the table all night until you finished your food, I can't throw away good food, either. Today I finally threw them out. But they were 100% edible and perfect, not dried out, no mold, nothing short of perfect. The date I bought them? March 13, 2006!

Here's what's in them:

ground corn, corn flour, and white corn treated with lime
water
cellulose gum
fumaric acid
sodium propionate
sorbic acid
propionic acid
phosphoric acid

I have had some corn tortillas in my refrigerator for eons; never got around to eating them, but, 'cause my parents were the kind that made you sit at the table all night until you finished your food, I can't throw away good food, either. Today I finally threw them out. But they were 100% edible and perfect, not dried out, no mold, nothing short of perfect. The date I bought them? March 13, 2006!

When I began reading this I thought you were going to say they'd been in the fridge for a number of years, not months. LOL I was at a friend's for dinner one evening and she asked me to go in the fridge and grab some salad dressing. She had quite a variety all with one thing in common -- they's expired years ago. I was a bit shocked and asked her what was up with that. LOL She said she rarely ate salad, hence dressing. I'll say! Anyway, out they went that night. I'm not sure if she planned to ever use them or they just gave that feeling of abundance. :eek:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww @ the salad dressing. LOL !!!

My tortillas stay that way too & I don't refrigerate them. And if they get a little hard I use them to make cheese crispies. I too was expecting that they were years old. LOL

Oh wait -- you said corn tortillas -- YUCK. Now I know why the were still in the fridge. I bought a BIG OL pack of those once cuz hubby asked for them. There were like 50 in the bag and after about 6 months I finally threw them out cuz he used like 2 of em.

Back