What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making mashed potatoes ahead of time-best way?

B

ButterSticks

Have any of you made mashed potatoes the day ahead and then reheated them for a dinner? Do they taste alright or do they dry out and what's the best way to reheat them?
Has anyone tried the premade mashed potatoes sold in a vacuum pack in the cooler section of the supermarket?

I like fresh mashed potatoes. Just trying to think this out, I think you could precook the potatoes one day, and then use the microwave to reheat them before beating them. I think the time is in cooking the potatoes. The last part of using the mixer, and adding milk and butter goes fast.

Oh, and a great trick for variety in the potatoes is to mix a teaspoon of minced garlic into the potatoes when beating.

I don't know how much "ahead" of time you are talking - but you can make them and place them in a crockpot on low and they will not dry out or ruin.

Usually if you just put them back into a pan and add some butter, maybe some milk, they will loosen back up and come back to life.

Back