What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duck- simple recipe anyone?

B

ButterSticks

Does anyone have a really simple, fool-proof method of cooking duck? I have never made it before as it sounded way too complicated (esp. with having to be careful with not causing a mess in the oven from the fat.) Hope someone here can help!

The only time I've had duck was Peking Duck was at a family gathering at an Oriental restaurant. As you say, it's greasy and thus it's loaded with fat and cholesterol. I haven't had duck since. It did taste good! Just didn't seem healthy to me.

Maybe there is a way to cook duck and rid the meal of the grease.

I'd just buy roasted duck off the deli counter in the local Chinese supermarket (Ranch99) and eat it in many different ways :D : http://simcooks.com/88/roasted-duck-gives-you-bang-for-the-buck/

Having said that, Tyler Florence from Food Network has some ways of cooking duck. You are right that the cooking method is quite complicated. I don't think there is any easy way out.

As for the greasy issue, I usually remove the fat under the skin before I eat it. For Peking duck, the fat is easier to remove cos the skin is so crispy.

Ooooh yummy... I love Peking Duck too.:)

http://www.simcooks.com

I have had duck - and it is good. Yes - a bit fatty, but I enjoyed it.

Roast Duckling Halves with Orange Rice

2 ducklings (4 1/2 to 5 lbs. each), halved
1 tsp. salt
2 small thick-skinned oranges
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup currant jelly
1/2 cup water
4 tsp.. cornstarch
4 servings hot seasoned cooked rice

Wash, drain and dry duckling halves. Sprinkle cavity sides evenly with salt. Place halves, skin side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Bake in slow oven (325 degrees) until meat on drumstick is tender, about 2 hours.

Prepare sauce while duckling is roasting. Peel the orangy part of the rind off the orange; cut rind in very thin strips 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. Cover with boiling water; simmer 15 minutes. Drain well. Peel and section orange, removing all membrane; set aside. Combine orange juice, currant jelly, water, and cornstarch; blend until free of cornstarch lumps. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add orange strips. Brush sauce over duckling several times during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Stir orange sections into hot rice. Serve rice with duckling halves and remaining sauce.
Makes 4 servings.

**Alternate orange sauce:
2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon
3 1/2 cup sugar
Boil 10-15 minutes.

Yeah duck is fatty. I think I've only had it once as Peking Duck. But I saw a show years ago on PBS that showed how much fat there was in a duck. A couple quarts or so would be my guess. So I avoid duck ... not that my one time eating was a lot. :)

It all depends on if you plan on cooking a wild duck that you harvested from hunting, or if you got a duck from say...the grocery store. Wild duck (all wild game) has virtually no fat and you will have to cook accordingly.

I've never had duck before. I want to try it though. Maybe I'll try that recipe & see how it goes. :)

Me too. I have never tried to cook a duck eversince. The recipe posted by Mama Mangia seems to taste really well. I'll try this recipe. If I don't have a currant jelly, what substitute ingredient could I use? I may not be able to find one here in our area.

Last edited:
Back