What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curry!

B

ButterSticks

Hi, I just started to like curry chicken. I get at lunch time from this Indian restaurant where I work. I bought curry powder, and I don't know how to make curry sauce. I just been sprinkling the curry powder on the cutlets and fry it in the pan with some oil but it's not the same. Anyone have a good and easy curry chicken recipe?

Curry powder is very bland. To make nice and flavorful curry you'll want to get red or green curry paste (sold in little jars).

The powder smells really good and adds good color but not much flavor/heat.

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@thaikitchen.com/saucespastes.html# - scoll down for red and green curry paste ingredient lists.

There is a significant difference in Indian and Thai curries (listed on page from link above) so even though these pastes might work, it wont really be Indian curry. Here is a recipe for you:

Serves: 4
Cooking time (approx.): 28 minutes
Style: Indian Non-Vegetarian

1. 3 tablespoons oil
  2. 2 onions grated
  3. 2 tablespoons garlic paste
  4. 1 teaspoon ginger paste
  5. 1 cup yoghurt beaten till smooth
  6. 2 tomatoes grated or finely chopped
  7. 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
  8. 2 teaspoons coriander powder
  9. 1 teaspoon cumin powder
  10. ½ teaspoons turmeric powder
  11. salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
  12. 12 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
  13. 1 cup hot water
  14. 1 teaspoon curry powder or hot spice mix (garam masala see the second post in this topic: http://www.spiceplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593 ) powder
  15. finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the onions and fry for about 4 minutes or till rich golden brown.
  2. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry briefly till the raw smell goes away. Add the tomatoes and the yoghurt stirring briskly to avoid curdling. Fry for about 4 minutes or till oil separates.
  3. Mix in the red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat and add the chicken pieces. Fry for about 5 minutes or till the chicken is lightly browned.
  4. Add the hot water and mix well. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on very low heat for about 15 minutes or till chicken is well cooked and the oil has separated. Sprinkle the curry powder or hot spice mix (garam masala) and cover tightly for about 10-15 minutes for the aroma to blend well in the curry.
  5. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
TIPS:
  1. Using clarified butter (ghee) makes this dish more flavorful.
  2. Boneless chicken can be also used for this recipe. Reduce or halve the weight of chicken if using boneless. Rest of the ingredients remain the same. Reduce the cooking time of chicken.
  3. Keep some extra amount of hot water ready if more gravy is desired.
  4. Serve hot with: Steamed rice or Indian bread (Roti).

Last edited:
Back