What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peeling oranges

R

rt49andellis

This really isnt a question - but rather a tip.

If you roll an orange in betweens your hands and apply some pressure for a few minutes before peeling it, it will save alot of time and effort. This is also helpful if you plan to use the peels later for things such as making candy.

Interesting! I have really strong nails so I usually end up pealing everyone's oranges for them - i'm really good at it too.

Yeah interesting, Im gonna do that from now on, coz I have small fingers and they hurt when I try to peel oranges.

what i meant by taking less time was that you dont have to stop and try and get off every little piece.

I'm also always the one doing the peeling -- so I give each kid their orange and let them roll it for awhile, toss it back and forth to each other..... just becareful not to smash it TOO hard...... actually helps quite a big. One of the most helpful things my dad ever taught me. LOL

I never knew that thanks for the tip I always used my nails

I do something similar to this when I'm tearing things, but I never thought of applying the same principle to food.

I am going to try this next time I want an orange. I hate peeling them because it hurts my fingernails. Thanks for the tip and I will let you know how it works for me.

:) :)
This really isnt a question - but rather a tip.

If you roll an orange in betweens your hands and apply some pressure for a few minutes before peeling it, it will save alot of time and effort. This is also helpful if you plan to use the peels later for things such as making candy.

Thankyou I will give this a try I always have a time trying to peel a orange.
Thanks

I usually cut a circle around the top, where the stem was, then make shallow cuts all the way to the bottom, similar to the lines you see on a globe but not that close. Then just peel it with my nails.

I peel it with my nails right from the beginning, I don't bother with any utensils of any sort.

I use to do the same with the "globe cuts" But this is a good method and you can actually roll it before you do the cutting. Helps quite nicely.

I always used a spoon. :) Works like a charm. I've never tried rubbing it in my hands... I'm gonna try that.

I used to work with this guy that would nuke an orange in a microwave for 30 - 45 seconds, and then peel it. He said it was easier that way. One day he nuked too long and the orange caught fire. That set off the smoke detectors, and sounded the buildings fire alarms. So I can't say I recommend his method.

I always used a spoon. :) Works like a charm. I've never tried rubbing it in my hands... I'm gonna try that.
Use a spoon? How???

And as far as microwaving it... wouldnt a warm orange be gross??? And uhm... OOPs on the fire. LOL

I flip the spoon over so that the rounded part is facing up... I push it into the orange to start off and then keep going under the peeling with the spoon still facing rounded part up. Works great!

I'd never thought of doing that with a spoon. Seems like a technique that would take practice. I'd probably end up scooping half my orange away. *laughs*

yeah ive never seen an orange peeled with a spoon, and never seen someone put an orange in a microwave

Back