What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing cooked on food from a pan/skillet

R

rt49andellis

My mother taught me a neat trick. This is especially useful for after making scrambled eggs. (Why on earth is that so hard to remove from a pan)

Anyways.......... Just put a little dish soap in your pan and run hot water into it... then let it boil for a few minutes..... give it a little scrub/scrape with a spatula and then if it hasn't come off, let it boil a little longer.

And an important word of advice...don't forget that you're doing this, cuz that water WILL boil away more quickly than you could imagine. *laughs* Then the egg will be the least of your worries.

I never had problems in removing scrambled eggs in a pan that is because I put a little oil in the frying pan before putting the egg.

But boiling sure helps, in removing some of the food that got stuck? in the pan.

for some reason when i add oil, it sticks even worse... dont know why. I did however just get a new pan that works great for eggs... the oil still makes it stick more, but butter helps alot. I think my problem is that all my pans are heirlooms. LOL "And this is great grandma's skillet she hit great grandpa with. This is the one that Uncle Joe dropped on his toe. This is from when great great great grandma crossed the ocean on a boat...." *laughs*

Usually non-stick oil prevents things like this from happening, but if it doesn't work, I'm sure this would be a good alternative. It's always worked for me though.

Many pans need to be seasoned (other than teflon coated). Pour a bit of oil in the pan and coat bottom well; heat until hot. Then add your oil or butter for whatever you are making.

Thanks for this info I could have used this a long time ago I can't wait to try it.

That's interesting. I've never heard of doing that before. I just let my pans soak before I wash them. I've never had egg stuck to my pans though. I use a lot of oil or butter before I put them in the pan. But I sure do get a lot of other things stuck to the pans! LOL

I don't get eggs stuck to my pans very often, I use cooking spray on alot of things though. I used to use butter, but hubby's gotta lose some weight so we cut out alot of the butter. I get other things, like BBQ sauce or spices, stuck good though. So I'll have to try this little trick, I hope it works for me.

Back