What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cornbread

R

Raquelita

Cornbread

1 cup of corn meal
1 cup of self rising flour
one egg
1 can creamed corn
salt
pepper
sugar (only about 1/4 tsp of each)
mix.
preheat oven 300F
oil a cast iron skillet or baking pan
put in oven for ten minutes to heat
take it out and put your mixture in (this gives it a crunchy crust)
back into the oven. bake for one hour or until golden brown or cracked.

I need to try this; all the cornbread recipes I have, have turned out very dry and not tasty.

I do agree that the iron skillet is the ONLY way to go!

I can't find a iron skillet like grandma had, I dont think they make them like they used to.

We have one that I believe is from Bed Bath and Beyond. I'm not sure if it exactly like the old fashioned ones, but it is an iron skillet!

Annie, the ones at BB&B are fine, but you have to be sure to season it before use and then it'll be like your grandmother's. :)

nothin' like cornbread made in the skillet!

Cast iron pans are cast iron pans - and in order for one to be as good as gram's you have got to use it!!!

Season in between uses and don't be afraid to use it for anything and everything. As it ages and gets used it will look just as good as gram's pan!

I know people that use cast iron for everything from fried/scrambled eggs/omlettes, grilled cheese sandwiches, meats, stews, soups, breads, rolls, biscuits and desserts.

The more you use it - the better it will look!

I really like cornbread. I've never tried making it in a skillet before though. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

My husband loves corn bread. We usually make the Jiffy brand out of the box. I'll have to surprise him with this with dinner one night. :)

Back