What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get nice hot tortillas?

R

rt49andellis

We eat alot of tortillas. But my heating methods just DONT work and I hate cold tortillas. They taste aweful & they break easier when you roll them.

1 thing I've tried is the oven. That didn't work at all. Dont know if it was my temp or what. I've tried it on cookie sheets as well as directly on the rack. They just get all hard and crusty... ewwww

Another thing I do - which seems to work best - is to turn on one of the burners to a really low fire (gas stove) and lay the tortilla down on the pan rack and just start spinning it slowly. Works good...but seems like by the time I've gone back to make a 2nd one, my first tortilla is cold already.

Any advice???

I used to wrap mine in damp paper towels and put them in the microwave. The paper towels keep them moist

First, you've got to have decent tortillas---if that is a given then place 2-3 in a ziploc bag (if you like them moist and hot) then nuke in the microwave about 20 seconds-pullout and feel and if you need more time then add 5 second intervals. buena suerte!!!! YOu can wrap them in paper towels if you wish.

Ok... anyone got a non microwave answer??? Mine uhm..... blew up. LOL No seriously... it like caught fire and I pitched it.

I haven't tried this - so I don't know - but a friend does this - preheat oven to 200*. Place a pan of boiling water on the bottom rack. Make sure the oven is at 200* and not colder.

Use a skillet to heat your flour tortillas; fill and roll. Place on rack in oven until done making them.

She claims that they stay soft.

??????

I was having the same problem before my husband went on the South Beach Diet and couldn't eat bread for 2 weeks. Now we only occasionally have flour tortillas, like once a month. He likes corn tortillas though, and those never work right for me. They seem more brittle and break easier than the flour tortillas, plus me and our 10 yr old think they taste funny. I know it's cuz we're used to the flour tortillas though.

I bet you could do the same thing with an oven. Wrap them in damp paper towels then in tin foil put them in the oven while you make the filling

The oven, while slower than a microwave, I think makes food taste better. Maybe it's just me.

I put my tortillas in plastic wrap and put them in the microwave. It keeps the moisture in and they do not get hard. This has always worked for me.

Back