What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best cooking compliment??

P

phoenyxstarr

I'm not sure if this should be here or Chatter, but I thought it wouldn't be completely off-topic here.

I was curious as to what everyone's best cooking compliment was... I've got 2, one from my husband and the other from my daughter's friends.

1.) I made plain, regular old meatloaf last night (I say it that way because I usually have cheese in it, but I ran out of sliced cheese and didn't feel like getting dressed & running to Wal-Mart). My husband ate it and told me that it was the best he's had. Not even his mom can keep her meatloaf moist. Don't ask me how I do it, because I have no idea. At first I thought it was because I used tomato sauce in the loaf, but I didn't feel like opening one last night so last night's meatloaf didn't have tomato sauce. All I put in it was oatmeal, egg, and hamburger meat; made sure they were mixed well; put it in a 8x8 pan and baked it at 350* for 45-50 min.

2.) My daughter's friends were staying the night a couple weeks ago, and I was making BLT's for dinner. I didn't think anyone could get a compliment from BLT's but I did that night... her friends both told me that I cook better than their mom, just over some BLT's. They've had other things that I've made, fried chicken & coleslaw for example, and they said they were better than their mom's too.

I guess it boils down to: I'm a better cook than I ever thought. Everyone always told me I was a bad cook, guess they were wrong. LOL.

One time I made an omelette for my friend and he said that it didn't taste like crap. I guess that's a compliment.

When i make something that my husband really likes, he'll say "ooh, make that again!" that's usually about the best compliment I get on my cooking.

I hear that about everything I make from my daughter... She just can't make up her mind what the best thing is, I guess.

Best compliment?? I guess it would have to be where a born and bred Cajun asked his wife to get my seafood gumbo recipe--ma cherie, le bon temps roulet!! (We lived in Lafayette, Louisiana, so I learned to make a roux)--later it went on to win first place in a gumbo cookoff.

My brother once said that he likes the way I cooked my spaghetti instead of our mother's. (and in front of our mother too!)

My brother once said that he likes the way I cooked my spaghetti instead of our mother's. (and in front of our mother too!)
LOL, Clara,

What a compliment and it sounds like that he is still alive despite his compliment------nothing would give me greater pleasure than for my children (grown now) to exceed me in the culinary fields-----so your Mom must have inspired him to new heights!!!! Lucky Mom!!! And you can come over and cook spaghetti anytime :D :D :D -------

A first attempt at making Chicken Ala Kiev actually turned out quite well gauging from the responses I got from the friends over for the Sunday lunch.

Could be better, not bad, great, awesome dude, etc. One even said "if you had given us less margaritas and more food, maybe I could actually taste it!"

The icing on the cake for me was when the wife of a very dear friend says "you wanna marry me? i'll dump your friend right now!"

Still single though, but have now ended up feeding them at least once a week!

Gotta love this life.

LOL, Clara,

What a compliment and it sounds like that he is still alive despite his compliment------nothing would give me greater pleasure than for my children (grown now) to exceed me in the culinary fields-----so your Mom must have inspired him to new heights!!!! Lucky Mom!!! And you can come over and cook spaghetti anytime :D :D :D -------

Lol he is..my mother just laughed when he said it (that's because he's the favorite and the youngest).

Would love to cook spaghetti for you :D but I'm sure yours is delicious too.

I'd say the best compliment I ever "got" was over hearing my son say "but mom's doesn't make me wanna puke" LOL

My best compliment to date: upon tasting my patented corn chowder "holy crap!, thats better than cambells!"

I think when my mom admitted that I'm a better cook than her ~ quite the shock (even though I've known it for a while now). But she still claims the title of better baker.

Or when my husband told me that he likes my "XYZ" better than my mother-in-law's. :)

I'd say the best compliment I ever "got" was over hearing my son say "but mom's doesn't make me wanna puke" LOL

OMG, I'm dying over here now... That's just too funny & sounds like something one of my children would say.

My fiance is a really fussy eater. Hes 34 years old and I have to hide his vegies in his food so he eats them. Its hard to find things he likes to eat so one night I made him burritos, just with mince, cheese, onion, cream cheese and bbq sauce.

This compliment is the best I will ever get out of him for a meal so I was pretty happy.

He said 'Id eat that again" lol. Made my night!

Compliments always make you feel as if it was worth all the effort - but out of all I have gotten throughout the years - this one I got last week - from a 4 year old little fellow who is my favorite little love:

"I really like these - you're the bestest cooker!"

and I got a baby slobber (face full of food too!) along with it while we were eating..................

he even tasted good! LOL

Oh man, Mama that is the cutest thing I've heard all day. Definitely makes me look forward to my youngest being old enough to talk instead of just smacking her lips & going "mmmmmm,mmmmmmm" when she likes something.

PHOENYXSTARR - those are the greatest times - those sweet little faces smiling up at you and hearing mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, slowly changing to yum yum and then yummy! Then it was luscious and lusciously good. Now I am a bestest cooker! Those are the best compliments anyone could ever get - they beat all others hands down!

Its also her way of letting someone know she wants a bite of whatever they are eating... You should have seen her on Thanksgiving, we were at my sister-in-law's house & there were around 15-20 people there. She was going up to everyone, smacking her lips & 'mmmmmm,mmmmmmm'-ing her way to their hearts & plates. She's the youngest, so of course no one could say no to her, except for me, her mean ol' Mommy.

Back