What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Remedies

E

expatgirl

There's been some "chatter" about starting a new post on home remedies and other solutions for everyday problems----okay, unless someone else has started one I'll jump off the diving board and start one. I have several to share.

1.Vicks vaporub is great for chapped lips!!
2. Baby's hairbrush makes a great mushroom cleaning brush

3. ******Fresh ginger root, peeled, chopped and allowed to steep in hot water 5-10 minutes (you can add sugar to make it tase better) is a wonderful antidote for nausea especially if you've been vomiting for awhile

4. Wonderful antidote for tired puffy eyes--steep two teabags in hot water, drain, cool a bit, and then place over the eyes----turn on some music, lay down, and rest-----the tannic acid from the tea will help reduce the puffiness and the warm bags over your eyes feel heavenly.

I have more but the rest of you please share your homegrown wisdom, passed down remedies, suggestions, what's worked for you, etc.

thanks for the info its very helpful .

baking soda and a little water to make a paste for bee stings works great.

Carmex (cold sore medicine) is also great chapstick.

Valerian root tea is great for stomach aches

Ummm...I know I know more, but I can't remember them right now. LOL

4. Wonderful antidote for tired puffy eyes--steep two teabags in hot water, drain, cool a bit, and then place over the eyes----turn on some music, lay down, and rest-----the tannic acid from the tea will help reduce the puffiness and the warm bags over your eyes feel heavenly.

Also a slice of cucumber for each eye.

Nagging cough:

1. Stop smoking (it could be smoker's cough).
2. Follow all the tips to relieve colds.
3. Rub eucalyptus oil on your chest and back.
4. Have a lemon enema (1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice in a pint of warm water).
5. See your doctor if cough persists.

Pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS):

1. Avoid salty food, cold beverages, caffeine in all forms (coffee, chocolate, black tea), alcohol.
2. Increase intake of certain vegetables/fruits like strawberries, watermelon (eat the seeds, too!), asparagus, watercress.
3. Take figs, dates, bananas, potatoes, peanuts, tomatoes (these are rich in potassium).
4. Try dong quai (also known as the female ginseng, it helps to improve circulation, regulate liver function and help remove excess fluid/water from the system).
5. Put warm compress on the lower belly.
6. Rest.
7. Sip an herbal tea like chamomile or ginger.

Skin rashes:

1. Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of cold water. Apply on the affected area to bring down swelling and remove the heat from the skin.
2. Pour 2 drops of olive oil and rub gently on the skin.
3. Rub fresh aloe vera (sabila). It sometimes helps, too.

Stomach ache:

For instant relief, take a hot cup of ginger tea. Place a hot bag on your tummy or simply, place your right hand (the giving hand, which emits energy) on your tummy for 5 minutes. It is better if the hand that warms your tummy belongs to your beloved because you don't only get warmth but love, too!

Skin waker-upper

Wrap an ice cube in a towelette and pat gently on your skin. Tired-looking, dull complexion will get back its pinkish glow. The regimen is great for closing pores and freshening makeup. Pat dry.

Rice water (am)

In the old days, grandmothers used to give their grandchildren rice water (taken from rice that is being cooked), to ease a gassy tummy and colic.

Ginger

Add a cup of freshly grated ginger (about 1 tbsp) to a pot of hot water. The drink will warm the tummy, aid digestion, remove gases and raise the thermogenic (heat) level of the body (needed for fat burning). This is a dieter’s choice.

Parsley

Oh yes! It’s not only for decorative purposes. Parsley is a natural deodorizer.

So if you have eaten too much odorous food, munch on a sprig of parsley. No need to swallow but best if you do. To take as tea, steep fresh sprigs in a pot of boiling water for five minutes. The tea is ready when water becomes greenish. This is a digestive. It also deodorizes the body naturally resulting in a fresh scent. That’s guaranteed.

Back