What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian Cooking

W

wizkid

Hi,

Didnt find any information here about this so figured its a good idea to start this thread. I intend to start by adding receipes to create the basics required for most Indian foods. Will then move on to various types of Indian foods i.e. from different parts of the country.

I'll start by giving instructions on creating some basic masalas (spice preparations) that go into most Indian dishes.

If anyone has any queries or requests, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Basics - Garam Masala - Recipe and Preparation

This easy-to-make spice blend is the heart of most Indian dishes. A combination of different spices, it probably has as many recipes as there are families in India! Here is a very basic one. Once you get a feel for the taste it gives your cooking, experiment and alter it to suit your needs.

Garam Masala
  1. Bay leaves 10 grams
  2. Coriander seeds 5 grams
  3. Cinnamon 20 grams
  4. Black pepper 20 grams
  5. Brown cardamom 15 grams
  6. Cloves 10 grams
  7. Cumin seeds 10 grams
Method
  1. Heat a heavy skillet on a medium flame and gently roast all ingredients till they turn a quite a few shades darker. Stir occasionally. Do not be tempted to speed up the process by turning up the heat as the spices will burn on the outside and remain raw on the inside.
  2. When the spices are roasted turn off flame and allow to cool.
  3. Grind them to a very fine powder in a dry grinder.
  4. Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place.

Basics - Ginger/Garlic/Chilly Paste - Recipe and Preparation

Well I guess most people would have this in their kitchens but no harm in adding a quick method to make this paste. Increase in equal proportions for larger quantities.

Ingredients

1. Ginger 150 grams
  2. Garlic 250 grams
  3. Green Chillies 60 grams
  4. Salt 1/2 teaspoon
  5. Lemon 20 ml
Method

1. Peel the ginger and garlic (try and get large cloves if possible)
  2. Chop the ends off the green chillies (if the chillies are extremely hot, then reduce the weight to 40 grams)
  3. Add all ingredients in the wet grinder
  4. Grind till its an even paste
  5. Keep refrigerated.

Basics - Chaat Masala - Recipe and Preparation

In India, chaat refers to both a spice blend and a salad that uses the spice blend. Indian markets sell pre-mixed chaat masalas (the spice blend) that are quite good and ready to use. However freshly made masala is the best.

This recipe makes one version of chaat powder or chaat masala, but feel free to play with the ingredient amounts to reach the balance of sour, salt, and piquancy that suits your personal taste.

If you can't find black salt, leave it out. There is no substitute for this unusual, smoky tasting form of rock salt. Though it's called black salt, it actually is more reddish when pulverized. Amchoor, being a dry powdered form of mango, adds the tartness to chaat. It's a handy ingredient for any recipe when you want to add a bit of fruity tartness without additional liquid.

Sprinkle a touch of chaat masala on salads, fruit, potatoes, or any vegetable, to perk up the flavors instantly.

Ingredients

1. 1 tbsp Cumin Seed (Jeera)
  2. 1/2 tblsp dried Mint Leaves (Pudina Leaves)
  3. 1/4th tsp Carom (Ajwain) seeds
  4. 1/4th tsp Asafetida (Hing) Powder
  5. 1 tbsp Rock Salt (Kala Namak)
  6. 21/2 tblsp dried Mango (Aam) Powder
  7. 5 Cloves (Lavang)
  8. 1 tsp Ginger (Adrak) Powder
  9. 1 tsp Cayenne
  10. 1/4 tsp Tartaric Acid
  11. 1 tblsp Black Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
  12. 2 tsp Salt (Namak)
Method

1. Put cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, dried mint leaves, ajwain and asafetida powder in a pan and heat gently, shaking the pan from time to time till the spices begin to smell fragrant.
  2. Remove from heat add rock salt and grind while still warm.
  3. Mix in all other ingredients, cool and store tightly bottled.

Main Dish - Chicken Curre\y - Recipe

Serves: 4
Cooking time (approx.): 28 minutes
Style: Indian Non-Vegetarian

Ingredients
  1. 3 tablespoon(s) oil
  2. 2 onion(s) grated
  3. 2 tablespoon(s) garlic paste
  4. 1 teaspoon(s) ginger paste
  5. 1 cup(s) yoghurt beaten till smooth
  6. 2 tomatoes grated or finely chopped
  7. 1 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
  8. 2 teaspoon(s) coriander powder
  9. 1 teaspoon(s) cumin powder
  10. ½ teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
  11. salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
  12. 12 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
  13. 1 cup(s) hot water
  14. 1 teaspoon(s) curry powder or hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
  15. finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the onions and fry for about 4 minutes or till rich golden brown.
  2. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry briefly till the raw smell goes away. Add the tomatoes and the yoghurt stirring briskly to avoid curdling. Fry for about 4 minutes or till oil separates.
  3. Mix in the red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and pepper to taste. Increase the heat and add the chicken pieces. Fry for about 5 minutes or till the chicken is lightly browned.
  4. Add the hot water and mix well. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on very low heat for about 15 minutes or till chicken is well cooked and the oil has separated. Sprinkle the curry powder or hot spice mix (garam masala) and cover tightly for about 10-15 minutes for the aroma to blend well in the curry.
  5. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
TIPS:
  • Using clarified butter (ghee) makes this dish more flavorful.
  • Boneless chicken can be also used for this recipe. Reduce or halve the weight of chicken if using boneless. Rest of the ingredients remain the same. Reduce the cooking time of chicken.
  • Keep some extra amount of hot water ready if more gravy is desired.
  • Serve hot with: Steamed rice or Indian bread (Roti).

Main Dish - Mutton / Lamb Curry - Recipe

Ingredients:
  1. 1.5 kg Boned shoulder of lamb
  2. 2 tablespoons Ghee or oil
  3. 2 Large onions, chopped
  4. 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
  5. 1 tablespoon Finely chopped fresh ginger
  6. 2 tablespoons Curry powder
  7. 3 teaspoons Salt
  8. 2 tablespoons Vinegar or lemon juice
  9. 3 Large tomatoes, chopped
  10. 2 Fresh red chilies
  11. 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh mint leaves
  12. 1 teaspoon Garam masala
  13. 1 tablespoon Chopped fresh coriander
Method:
  1. Cut lamb into cubes.
  2. Heat ghee (clarified butter) or oil in a saucepan and gently fry onion, garlic and ginger until soft and golden.
  3. Add curry powder, salt and vinegar, stir thoroughly.
  4. Add lamb and cook, stirring constantly until lamb is coated with the spice mixture.
  5. Add tomato, chili and mint.
  6. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
  7. The tomatoes should provide enough liquid for the meat to cook in but, if necessary, add a little hot water, approximately half cup, just enough to prevent meat from sticking to pan.
  8. Add garam masala and chopped coriander leaves for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
  9. Serve with rice.

Main Dish - Goan Fish Curry - Recipe

Serves: 4
Cooking time (approx.): 11 minutes
Style: Goan Non-Vegetarian

Ingredients:
  1. 800 gram(s) pomfret sliced and cleaned
  2. 1 onion sliced
  3. 1 small tomato chopped
  4. 4 green chillies slit and deseeded
  5. 1 cup(s) coconut milk
  6. 1 tablespoon(s) oil
  7. 4 tablespoon(s) water
  8. salt to taste
Grind the list below into a fine paste:
  1. 12 dry red chillies
  2. 2 tablespoon(s) coriander seeds
  3. 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
  4. 1 tablespoon(s) chopped ginger
  5. 1 teaspoon(s) chopped garlic
  6. 1 tablespoon(s) tamarind paste
  7. 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
  8. 12 tablespoon(s) water or as required
Method:
  1. Rub the fish slices with some salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Keep aside for 5 minutes. Wash well and drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and saute the onions on medium heat for about 5 minutes or till the onions are golden brown. Add the paste and the tomatoes. Fry briefly.
  3. Add the coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Add the fish, green chillies and salt. Mix very gently and simmer on low heat for about 6 minutes or till the fish is cooked but firm.
TIP:
  • Traditionally this is a spicy hot recipe. However, the amount of green and red chillies can be reduced or increased as required.
  • Serve hot with: slices of bread or Lacy Rice (recipe coming soon) and Coconut Pancakes (Appam) (recipe coming soon) or plain hot steamed rice.

Oh my!! u r an expert wiz I just have to omit Kid from wizkid.lol
they r indeed very useful tips and recipes. I am gonna try the Goan fish curry.
thanks for sharing these recipes and methods.

Hi, thx for basic indian recipes...and when u folks are done with the basic stuff, pl s visit my blog

-mansi

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a recipe or are you simply replying to a 10 month old post for your own self interest?

I have many recipes to share sir, I just joined this forum today!

And No, It is not for my self-interest. If it was, I would've scribbled 15 posts, then enteresd my URL on the 16th one and never returned back to answer your query!

-Mansi

How about posting one? and leave out the blog (until you get some rep),

Back