What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I see this on Food Network

M

mtmomj

We haven't had a chance to try it yet, but wow, it looks like it would be my favorite way to cook.

Any pointers for a newbie?

Thanks! :D

Our ancestors did it for years - long before the crockpots came around! Dutch oven cooking is easy - everything in the pot and in the oven for hours until it is done at a low temp. I have a few Dutch ovens and my favorite is my cast iron one - I make roasts, stews, breads - anything I want in it. Dutch-oven recipes work well in the crockpot and crockpot recipes work well in the Dutch-oven.

I have an aluminum Dutch Oven that I got at Campmor, and have cooked in a couple times. The food came out great, and I really need to remember to cook in my Dutch.

I've been very interested in getting into dutch oven cooking, though I've never had a chance. I'd love to hear some testimonials from anyone who has done this before or does it regularly. Thanks!

In my opinion Dutch oven cooking is easy, the meals are always delicious and the meat is always tender. Oven roasting on a low temp - it's just like using your crockpot. Low flame on a stove top - same thing.

I can't wait to try this. That is the key to my grandmothers food. Everything cooks on low heat all day.

So, what is your favorite meal made in a dutch oven? I bet some ribs would be dynomite!

dutch oven

I should use mine, shame on me. Hey mama mangia about what oven temp is good for roasts and stuff like that?

loubear - depending on your time frame and what it is you are cooking - 300 - 350 is a good temp - nice and slow allowing all those fabulous flavors to blend! meat comes out very tender and full of flavor - but of course - I'm one of those - "it's done when it's done!" We like our meat well done in our home - no "biology experiments" are allowed at the table! LOL

Years ago we didn't have a temp gauge on the oven - you lit the match and waited for the oven to heat up - you knew the temp by the feel of the heat. I still stick my hand in the oven to double check the temp and make sure my oven thermometer is right - can't break old habits!

Dutch Oven

Using a dutch oven is somewhat tricky, though easy.

One - use a liner made of foil or untreated parchment, makes it easier to clean.

Treat your dutch oven like any other cast iron - only wash with soap to get the machine oil off it and then no more soap. Be sure to rinse thoroughly. I personally will boil water in the DO after the soap wash.

Cure it well on a grill - usually there is wax on the thing and it is a real smoky mess burning off the wax!

Temperature control is tricky - I like to have a pile of coals on the side during the cooking process to ensure I have additional heat available.

I usually cook with 12 to 14 on the bottom and 16 on the top.

Hope this helps!
CW

Paniniguy, thanks for bringing up these older threads... I've been a member almost 2 years- and many of these good'uns are way before my time. I like! :)

I must be lazy. I just put mine on one side of the gas grill, light the other and turn it down real low. Then just check it every hour or so.

Back