What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical transcription

M

mtmomj

This way it won't get confusing between threads. ;) I'll tell ya anything you'd like to know.. if you have any more questions. :D
I love talking about it.

oh good I have lots of questions! I have been thinking about this since last night! First off, what courses do you have to take and where is the best place to take them?

Career Step-- I highly recommend them because I have gone there. I know they are a really good school. They are very high on the list of employers; along with the other 2 schools.

Two other highly recommended courses by people are:
Andrews and M-Tec

They are all online classes, but Career Step is a teach yourself on your own pace course, that was another plus for me. You always have someone from the school to call or e-mail if you need them!

As far as the courses, you have a grammar section, anatomy and physiology, medical word building, huge transcription section, and medical proofreading...they throw in other things like dictionary, etc. They have the full course outline on their websites.

Career Step-- I highly recommend them because I have gone there. I know they are a really good school. They are very high on the list of employers; along with the other 2 schools.

Two other highly recommended courses by people are:
Andrews and M-Tec

They are all online classes, but Career Step is a teach yourself on your own pace course, that was another plus for me. You always have someone from the school to call or e-mail if you need them!

As far as the courses, you have a grammar section, anatomy and physiology, medical word building, huge transcription section, and medical proofreading...they throw in other things like dictionary, etc. They have the full course outline on their websites.

How much did it cost for you to go to this school? can you get grants to go to this school?

What if you already completed basic transcription and was just needing the medical words, descriptions, etc.? Would one of the other schools be better than Career Step?

Ok so let's say I have completed the courses, ho does finding a job work? Can you make your own hours with most jobs, Do you have to work full time or can you work part time?

It cost me $1800, but there were different variables. I got text for an extra $200 (for when I didn't want to study at the computer)...and I also got the platinum version, which, to me, was worthless. I didn't use grad support or anything. So I would have went with the gold if I could do it all over...which was a couple hundred dollars less.

I can't really speak for the other schools because I haven't attended them. I do know, though, that they are more expensive and instead of being on your own you have an instructor (and the course can take longer to complete in some instances)

With Career Step all of your work is automatically graded, with the other places the instructor grades them and you cannot move on until you get the graded ones back..which could be a couple of days. Basically you can do as much as you want with Career Step (you teach yourself and go at your own pace).

They are all equally as good in my opinion. All 3 schools put out graduates that the companies want.

You have to test and apply with every company.

Another reason why I chose and love Career Step is..many of the companies use their testing procedure. mttest.com (the same procedure you go through when completing your final) because they think Career Step has a great testing procedure. Also a lot of companies reference to Career Step when going to apply. You can check out what companies actively hire (and advertise the school) grads on their website... there are many more than just them though.

As far as hours go, that all depends. You are usually direct deposited with these companies. Some you have the choice of employee or independent. Independent they cannot dictate to you when you work, but can require certain hours or line count per week (how long it takes to reach that line count depends on the person, you get faster as you go). Employee you must work a set schedule, but also get the benefits that you would (i.e. paid time off, insurance) like you were working for a company out of the home.

It is a very diffucult job at times and will make you want to rip out your hair and cry, but after doing it for almost 2 years now, I learned so much and feel so comfortable working. Still have those dictators and days that make me wanna bawl, but it gets better every day.

Thanks for all the info its a huge help. Do you work for someone local? Or do you work for someone across the world from you? I really don't know if I am smart enough to pass that school or not I might could have back when I just got out of high school but that has been alog time ago. Gosh why didn't I do something back then..

I haven't worked anywhere local. I have worked for small companies and large nationals all over the place. NJ, IL, MI, WA, OR.

I would like to get my OWN accounts one day, but so nervous, as there is a lot of legal things that need to be covered and ...my favorite.. extremely picky doctors. :rolleyes:

Aah, barbiedoll, you can do it. Just have confidence in yourself. It may be a little hard at first, but most good things in life are hard to begin.

Aah, barbiedoll, you can do it. Just have confidence in yourself. It may be a little hard at first, but most good things in life are hard to begin.

Thankyou so much your words makes me feel alot better but this is the way I am about everything I am just so affraid of trying new things this one I would be affraid of failure back in school I passed but it wasn't that easy for me I had to really work hard and study hard to even pass.

I'm interested in learning more about getting the clients, please.

How much would you typically get paid if you typed approximately 80 wpm? I did transcription in an office environment for a summer and it got really boring after awhile, but i was pretty good at it. And does it get annoying to have to replay the tape again and again for certain sections? Do you feel it helped you learn about medical related things?

I didn't even think about typing speed. Guess it would be helpful to take a typing class since I only use a few fingers :eek:

Oh yea, for sure it really expanded my knowledge of medical things.

barbiedoll1973_tn-- you definitely can do it! If one thing makes you feel better, the only grade that counts is your final exam with Career Step! It is objective and transcription and not easy, but you can certainly pass it with hard work! :)

Word per minute doesn't really matter with this job. What matters is, getting used to your doctors, and getting your expander built up in word (autocorrect). Like if your doctor says "the patient" a lot..setting up your expander by only typing "TP" and it expands it automatically. Things like that. Reason I say word per minute doesn't matter is you have a lot of various accents to get used to and you also have A LOT of research to do as far as verifying medication dosages and different conditions (believe it or not, the doctors will sometimes dictate wrong dosages, that is our job to correct and point out). We have a lot of mush mouths and speed talkers...grrrr.

As far as getting your own clients, you have to figure out what platform you are going to use (Docshuttle, FTP, e-mail) and get a contract made out from a lawyer (all of the HIPAA information, money, etc), and discuss with the doctor from a local hospital about turn around time, money, and different things. I've found it 100% easier to just transcribe for various companies IC. I don't have to worry about having contact from anyone, but my "boss".

Oh yea, for sure it really expanded my knowledge of medical things.

barbiedoll1973_tn-- you definitely can do it! If one thing makes you feel better, the only grade that counts is your final exam with Career Step! It is objective and transcription and not easy, but you can certainly pass it with hard work! :)

Word per minute doesn't really matter with this job. What matters is, getting used to your doctors, and getting your expander built up in word (autocorrect). Like if your doctor says "the patient" a lot..setting up your expander by only typing "TP" and it expands it automatically. Things like that. Reason I say word per minute doesn't matter is you have a lot of various accents to get used to and you also have A LOT of research to do as far as verifying medication dosages and different conditions (believe it or not, the doctors will sometimes dictate wrong dosages, that is our job to correct and point out). We have a lot of mush mouths and speed talkers...grrrr.

As far as getting your own clients, you have to figure out what platform you are going to use (Docshuttle, FTP, e-mail) and get a contract made out from a lawyer (all of the HIPAA information, money, etc), and discuss with the doctor from a local hospital about turn around time, money, and different things. I've found it 100% easier to just transcribe for various companies IC. I don't have to worry about having contact from anyone, but my "boss".

Thanks for all the info I hope that I can do this sometime soon. Really need the money.

Your welcome. :) If you can think of anything else, just let me know.

I have been thinking a lot about this the last few days. I just keep wondering if I would really enjoy doing it, or if it would be a big chore :eek: Then again, even if it isn't much fun, there aren't many jobs that are legit WAH making that kind of $

Back