What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your age?

52 and loving it----you know who you are, where you're going, and don't let other people's prejudices, hangups, opinions bother you because you've been around the block and know what's best for you---also you've learned to say "NO" and know that it's not the end of the world. You also get to hold your grandchildren--the best!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww, how many grandchildren do you have? My parent's just got their first granddaughter from me in 04 ...and boy are they lovin her up!!!:)

Well, mtmomj----your parents and my husband and I are enjoying and spoiling a granddaughter as well-----we celebrate Miranda's 4th birthday next month. It's wonderful being a grandparent and I know how happy and proud you've made them. I'd put a smiley face here but I don't know how----so :) :):)

Speaking of ages this brings up another issue, if mtmonj doesn't mind me adding to her thread-------AGING and looking old------if you want to look older than you are continue to sunbathe even if you're using sunscreen------nothing will age your skin faster than being in the sun. Today's sunrays are not healthy. Girls and guys,too, I"m serious---stay out of the sun and if you have to be in it for any length of time wear a good sunscreen. At age 28 I was getting brown spots (melasma) on my face, went to a dermatologist who told me to use sunscreen on my face everyday under my makeup no matter what the weather was and to wear a hat while I played tennis. I've been doing that as well as using a generic antiwrinkle cream from WalMart for over 20 years. Also, I stay out of the sun--no sunbathing for me and yet, 2 years ago I had a flaky scaly (non-itching) spot on my forehead--went to the doctor and it was a precancerous skin lesion caused by the sun. I was floored. People who meet me for the first time are surprised to find out that I'm a lot older than I look. Yeah, it's great for the ego but the point that I'm making is that you've got to be careful these days. Take care of your skin---people are living a lot longer these days. Ok--I'm off the soapbox.

Speaking of ages this brings up another issue, if mtmonj doesn't mind me adding to her thread-------AGING and looking old------if you want to look older than you are continue to sunbathe even if you're using sunscreen------nothing will age your skin faster than being in the sun. Today's sunrays are not healthy. Girls and guys,too, I"m serious---stay out of the sun and if you have to be in it for any length of time wear a good sunscreen. At age 28 I was getting brown spots (melasma) on my face, went to a dermatologist who told me to use sunscreen on my face everyday under my makeup no matter what the weather was and to wear a hat while I played tennis. I've been doing that as well as using a generic antiwrinkle cream from WalMart for over 20 years. Also, I stay out of the sun--no sunbathing for me and yet, 2 years ago I had a flaky scaly (non-itching) spot on my forehead--went to the doctor and it was a precancerous skin lesion caused by the sun. I was floored. People who meet me for the first time are surprised to find out that I'm a lot older than I look. Yeah, it's great for the ego but the point that I'm making is that you've got to be careful these days. Take care of your skin---people are living a lot longer these days. Ok--I'm off the soapbox.

Great point I have not done this isn years but I am out in the sun some at ballgames and when I hang out my clothes.

Thank you for this post and for sharing your story! I was huge on the tanning scene when I was 18 til about 22 and I have stopped the past couple of years and started with the new tanning lotions, more recently the Olay tanning lotion. I love that stuff. I think that was the best thing for me because I loved the look of the tan and regular self tanners wouldn't work for me and were too time consuming...the lotions seem to work perfect, no streaks. The sun can be so harmful and hearing stories such as yours and seeing pictures of what it can actually do are sad reminders. :(

Thanks again for sharing!

I'm 36, but no one ever believes me. Seriously, I still get carded occasionally.

Speaking of the sun, that's one reason I think. I work full time, have a long commute and two side businesses so there is just no time to tan! I have convinced myself that darker skin is not attractive. ;) This last summer, I didn't even bother with a Mystic tan, though I occasionally do that before a vacation.

I'm 36, but no one ever believes me. Seriously, I still get carded occasionally.

Speaking of the sun, that's one reason I think. I work full time, have a long commute and two side businesses so there is just no time to tan! I have convinced myself that darker skin is not attractive. ;) This last summer, I didn't even bother with a Mystic tan, though I occasionally do that before a vacation.

I feel the same I have seen women that are really dark and when I looka t this it looks like half of there face is darker than the other half I really did see a lady like this she looked terrible but thinks that it looks good I guess.

Mystic tans usually last a week or two. They're best the first several days and then they start to fade. Not a bad option if you're headed to the beach for a weekend or a week; you just have to remember to wear a lot of sunscreen because of course it's only a skin dye and doesn't protect you from burning.

I'm 24 and proudly pasty colored from lack of sun ;). I do my best to avoid getting tanned/burned b/c of the skin issue. When i went on vacation for a week in the Caribbean 5 years ago i was very pleased when i got just a little bit tan in spite of being on the beach each day b/c i wore SPF 40 sunblock all the time and it worked!

Speaking of tans have any of you used the Oil of Olay Touch of Sun for the face? That stuff is awesome. I just bought it the other day. It is one of the lotion gradual tanners. I apply it twice a day, and after two days I don't look orange or blotchy and am starting to get a nice color. It doesn't have the weird smell that some of the other ones have.

I'm 23, about to turn 24 in November. And I never go out in the sun... I burn waaaayyy too easily. I mean, I was walking across campus one summer day, stopped to talk to a friend for about 10 min, and then headed to class. Total time was probably 15 minutes. I was as red as a freshly boiled lobster all over my shoulders & upper back because I was wearing a tank top. I was redder than the Coke bottle lids. And boy did it hurt!!! I'm just too pale & pasty to ever spend any time out in the sun. Even though I do love to see the sun shining & everything. But I let it come in, I don't go out to see it, LOL.

SAD story-----my daughter-in-law's boss, Marie--aged 55, who owns the salon where she works, started suntanning in a salon for 30 minutes at a time for nearly a year. (Reputable salons will not let you tan for more than 10 minutes max according to my niece who worked in one this summer) Now, Marie is Portuguese and olive-complected and brown-eyed (who knows what her real hair color is--she's a stylist for heaven's sake--now she's auburned haired and looks great for her age. No matter--- the point is that she developed a dark mole on her left arm in the last 6 months. Finally after months of being hassled by her staff and family she finally went to a dermatologist and you guessed it---MELANOMA!!! The worst kind of skin caner that you can have and deadly. She is now undergoing cancer treatment---thankfully her prognosis is good because they found it in time but she has to undergo painful tests and treatments for some time. Is a good tan at the expense of your family and loved ones worth the price???? Be sure that you are going to a reputable tanning salon if you are so willing.

Back