What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An old recipe handed down and handed down and handed down..........

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
An old recipe handed down and handed down and handed down.............

SWEET CREAM CAKE

2 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 2/3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. sweet cream

Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla alternately with dry ingredients and cream. Bake in loaf pan about 40 minutes in moderate oven, 350 degrees.

(typed as written)

Mmmm

I made this today. It took 65 min. in my oven but was well worth the wait. I've already scarfed down a third of it on my own.

That recipe is so old - and in those days - there were no thermostats on the ovens - so who knew the ptemp to begin with - I am glad you enjoyed it!

Mama, don't know how I missed this recipe. But I did . Have it copied now. Loaf cakes are so good. with a glaze or just with lots of butter while still warm. Thanks for the recipe.CF:)

You're very welcomed - I love butter on cakes - but then again - us oldsters would understand that - the kids today don't know what they are missing.

Yup...kids today don't know a lot of the tried and true ways. They think their techie know-how is going to last and see them through. They know how to hack and text but they don't know squat about cooking and creating in the kitchen. Their kitchens are the place they keep the microwave to heat up their over-processed and pre-made calorie laden dinners. So sad.

I have continued to use this cake recipe often. Slather butter on it or drizzle xxxx sugar icing over it and it's gone quickly.

So true - the kids today don't know anything except buttons - and when the buttons break - they are lost!

Glad you are enjoying the recipe.

Well Mama, I pressed a few buttons today and baked a cake. Dang that brought back a lot of memories. Not to sweet just right. Very easy to make, But be sure and grease your loaf pan. I forgot that step, but did get it out OK. I had to much going on at the same time. Was cooking some chicken vegetable stock and making pear preserves at the same time.
My cake baked in 35 min. I will be making it again. CF:)

sweet Cream Cake
Sweet Cream Cake.JPG

Mama, you know I have already baked this cake. It was so good I made another one yesterday. I added the juice and zest of one lemon for flavor. Well I got to tell you I made the flattest lemon flavored cake ever. I was for sure the lemon kept it from rising, but no I only used 1/2 the baking powder. Oh well Bill, pay attention to what your doing. We ate it anyway. CF

Mama's recipe indeed sounds scrumptious. Beautifu pic CF! I am a total cake fan. I'd love this plain- or gussied-up a bit w/ canned peaches and maybe a dollop of cool whip!

Hi Kevin, super nice to see your post. That cake is one of the best I have ever eaten. I even added a pat of butter and toasted it. Yummy !! CF

Back