What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How far do you drive for better quality?

R

rt49andellis

Our grocery stores all have aweful meat. I have a 2 stores in every direction that are between 15-20 miles away and you CANNOT get good meat in any of them. For example, their hamburger, it will look sort of red on the outside. But you can bring it home, open it immediately and the inside is solid brown. Absolutely gross!

On the way back from a trip I stopped at a store that's 40 miles away from home and happened to see their meat department. I had no idea that meat could be so red!!! I bought about $50 worth of meat that day and ever since, I've been making an 80 mile round trip each month for meat.

Do you drive a great distance just for better food???

Can't find buccatini here - so I drive to the next state (120 miles) to buy it.

Can't find perciatelli either - so I drive 2 counties over (60 miles) to buy it.

Also - I like all beef hotdogs - BIG ones - drive to the next state for that as well.

Most of my meats are purchased in the next county - 1 1/2 ride.

Is there a support group for us???

We drive about 25 minutes away they have alot of choices.

Our local store is pretty good, but we have to drive about 30 miles for good seafood.

Can't find buccatini here - so I drive to the next state (120 miles) to buy it.

Can't find perciatelli either - so I drive 2 counties over (60 miles) to buy it.

Also - I like all beef hotdogs - BIG ones - drive to the next state for that as well.

Most of my meats are purchased in the next county - 1 1/2 ride.

Is there a support group for us???
I have not the slightest idea what perciatelli & buccatini are. LOL And LMBO at the support group idea.

Glad to see some posts here. Happy to hear I'm not the only one!

The best butchers in town is actually very nearby, only about 3 miles away. But it's also the most expensive in town. still, worth every penny.

I drive 20 minutes to several grocery stores that have better selection and prices of what I need. There are grocery stores 5 min. away but their prices are higher and their selection is not as good. It's worth it to me to drive longer for what i really like!

Our grocery stores all have aweful meat. I have a 2 stores in every direction that are between 15-20 miles away and you CANNOT get good meat in any of them. For example, their hamburger, it will look sort of red on the outside. But you can bring it home, open it immediately and the inside is solid brown. Absolutely gross!

On the way back from a trip I stopped at a store that's 40 miles away from home and happened to see their meat department. I had no idea that meat could be so red!!! I bought about $50 worth of meat that day and ever since, I've been making an 80 mile round trip each month for meat.

Do you drive a great distance just for better food???

haha just bulk buy it. Australia is prety good place, in urban places, you dont get crap quality as most of the time, you woould buy from the super market, they advertise everything being fresh and whatever. Maybe its a scam. but we all believe them

rt49 - those are just types of pasta - similar to linguine and spaghetti but so much nice to eat!!!!

Desperate women do desperate things..................

I buy in bulk. Well, maybe not the bulk you're talking about. I buy a bunch...but don't get a discount and don't buy a whole cow.

Mama Mangia, is perciatelli & buccatini offered at grocery stores or is it a special italian store you go to to get them??? I know you drive a ways to get them... but maybe the place you're getting them from is close to me.

And yes... we do desperate things. ;)

I guess I am pretty lucky, I live in a town where I have a lot of choice. I am pretty picky when it comes to my meat products. I have a couple of Italian places here in Holland that are awsome when it comes to special ingredients. Michigan has a really diverse population of people, spanish, italian, french, Dutch, etc. These people really know there stuff when it comes to good food.

The selection here in town is awful, not to mention way overpriced. I typically drive 35 miles to go to a decent grocery store (walmart), not great.

Depends, we have quite a few good stores here, but for a special item I could see making a trip. Maybe not a 100 mile trip though!

It depends on what food we're talking about. Usually if it is ordinary meat like beef or chicken, we don't have to drive really far because the grocery store is just about in front of our village. But if it is seafood, we really go miles until we get to the next province.

I know where good shops are so i save alot of time travelling. Ask friends and relatives, they should know places.

I live in an area where there is a small market. I have never purchased meat from them. Half of the time their freezers are not working so I think it is safe to say the meat isnt good. I drive about 20 minutes to another town to do all of the grocery shopping. I have more options to choice from.

I would go the distance just to get the proper ingredients for whatever I am craving for. Especially if it's meat because it's usually the main ingredients of most of the dishes we eat at home. So it's really very important and it's a must that we get the proper one.

Back