What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food for the flu??

R

rt49andellis

My son and myself are sick. I think it's the flu. He can't seem to keep hardly anything down. I've given chicken noodle soup.... and then just broth. Toast was on the menu today too.

Do you have any suggestions on food for the flu?? Something that will stay down, hopefully make him feel better and not upset his stomach??

I always thought if nothing stays down you do the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast).

If that's all too boring, maybe try variations on the BRAT diet. something like chicken and rice soup or apple butter on toast...

hope you feel better soon!

Well, drink some warm water with some honey, it feels great to drink. Add some lemon juice for more flavour

I've been so sick - chicken soup helped, dry toast (although I just couldn't finish it), tea with lemon, juices, hot bouillon - they basically stayed down.

Thank you for the posts. I'm going to try some of these. The boy is better, mommy's still sick...and now daddy has it too. :( Let's just hope the baby stays clear of it.

Do you have any additions for the help of diarrhea???

I think I'll go make some honey water...........

Ginger ale, foods high in starch, pepermint or ginger tea all help. Along with the BRAT diet as suggested above.

Hope you all feel better soon! :)

Thank you to everyone who posted. Everyone is back to normal now. We got yogurt for those running to the bathroom (doc's orders) and did the hot water & lemon, honey or bouillon. Seemed to help alot.

Thanks much :)

does the warm water with honey help for just a sore throat as well?

I think it would BensMom. I know drinking anything hot, coffee or hot cocoa are my usuals, helps my sore throat. Another thing that helps with sore throats, especially if you have an infection is gargling hot salt water. It tastes nasty!!! But after doing it just once, you'll feel better for a while. At least I do...

The way I usually do it is get the water nice & hot, but not boiling, so I usually just let the tap run for a few minutes. Then I fill a small coffecup (about 8 ounces) with water & add enough salt to make it salty, about as salty as a pretzel or olive. I've found that much salt works the best for me, any more & I can't even gargle it. Make sure you gargle the whole cup, it usually gets saltier when you get close to the bottom. Gargle salt water 3 times a day & your sore throat will be gone in no time.

Yes yes --- salt & water!! I do the same over and over all day when I have a sore throat and I put enough salt in that you can see a layer at the bottom of the cup. And rememeber to sort of swirl the cup as you're gargling. Take swig, gargle & swirl, spit and repeat. If you dont swirl then you'll get almost no salt at the beginning and a tablespoon full on the last... Yuck lol

Usually anything warm will help a sore throat. Chicken noodle soup, broth, hot salt water. So... I would imagine the honey would work as well.

Having medical experience..I was always told that drinking water is fine unless you are naucious..If you are naucious..you shouldn't drink water as that will only encourage the ill results..Eating chipped ice however works..Jello and dry toast..Avoid the greasy food.

rt49 - talk about yogurt - a friend of mine has been eating one container of yogurt everyday for years - never missing a day and has not had a cold ever since! When I was doing it - I never got a cold - I stopped about 3 months ago and I got a horrid summer cold in August that turned bronchial on me and I am still not back to normal (whatever that is - LOL). Time to get back to the yogurt routine!

Hubby takes yogurt with his lunch everyday for work. He's rarely sick either, but he has hayfever. Unbelievably, since he's started taking yogurt to work, he's actually cut down on his sinus/allergy pills. Which is nice, it saves us some money, plus there's that whole thing with a person only being able to buy a certain number of packages of allergy medication containing ephedrine.

My favorite food when I have the flu is basically beef or chicken broth.

I have never heard of the yogurt eating either. I used to eat yogurt alot but got burnt out on it. I usually stick to the brat diet which is bananas, applesauce, rice and toast. I have heard that if you are vomitting that you shouldn't drink milk. Has anyone else heard of this.

I have never heard of the yogurt eating either. I used to eat yogurt alot but got burnt out on it. I usually stick to the brat diet which is bananas, applesauce, rice and toast. I have heard that if you are vomitting that you shouldn't drink milk. Has anyone else heard of this.

I have heard of that also - don't even put in in coffee or tea - use lemon or orange slices. And if your congested - stay away from milk - it doesn't mix well with mucus.

For upset tummies - flat coke (coca cola) works best for me. Pour some into a larger container and shake the fizz out of it. Use a bigger container with a real good cover - or you will have a mess!

I have heard of that also - don't even put in in coffee or tea - use lemon or orange slices. And if your congested - stay away from milk - it doesn't mix well with mucus.

For upset tummies - flat coke (coca cola) works best for me. Pour some into a larger container and shake the fizz out of it. Use a bigger container with a real good cover - or you will have a mess!

Coke is a good idea. When I was younger and my grandma was still alive she would heat up Vernor's Ginger Ale and have me drink it for upset stomachs. This always seemed to help.

Coke is a good idea. When I was younger and my grandma was still alive she would heat up Vernor's Ginger Ale and have me drink it for upset stomachs. This always seemed to help.

It's funny you mention ginger ale! I get car sick - sometimes by the time I am around the corner (which is 4 houses down!) I am ready to heave. All my life it was ginger ale for the car sickness. A friend of mine eats fresh ginger slices for upset tummies.

My professor told me that the best food for someone with flu is chicken soup. She told us the scientific explanation for it. I just forgot what it is. I'll just post it here as soon as I find my notes. :D

Back