What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reynolds Release & Press N Seal

R

rt49andellis

Ok - I'm not usually one for saying "hey I found a great product" But... HEY! I found 2 great products. LOL

First off is the reynolds release aluminum foil. This stuff is as awesome as the commercials make it out to be. For those who freeze meat, this stuff is great! I can make up hamburger patties and use the release foil and never get frost burnt food.... plus the foil doesn't stick to the meat like normal foil does.

The most impressive thing about this foil is the ability to make meatloaf using it!!! Mom always used foil when she made her meat loaf, and someone always ended up with some foil on their plate. *laughs* Well this stuff doesn't stick to the cooked meat at all. And if you like to put potatoes in with the meatloaf, it works great. No foil stuck to the taters!

And the glad press n seal stuff... that actually works too. I've not tried it in the freezer, but use it mainly for my kids sandwiches for lunch and for resealing hard tacos. We always have at least half the box of taco shells left and I hate throwing them away. But I've never found a way to reseal them so they'll be crunchy next time I try to use them.....Until.... the press n seal. You'd think they'd never been opened.

I've never heard of the release foil before - is it like foil but acts like plastic wrap? That is cool that you could make meatloaf using it.

I have used the press n seal before and it worked pretty well. That's a great ide about the taco shells!

I've never heard about the foil either?! I wonder if you can use it when you cook over a campfire?? If so, it's gonna be a must have around here becuase potatoes stick like glue to the regular foil when I try to make it that way.

Oh my gosh, yes mom -- that's actually one of their commercials. They put it on the grill and use it to cook their food on. And.... it doesn't stick! And I've used it for baked potatoes.....no stick! It's awesome stuff I tell ya. I'm sure they've got the generic version of this, but I've never tried it. Only the true Reynolds.

I also use it for lasagna and you KNOW what kind of mess that makes in a pan! And for pigs in a blanket. It makes it so you can lift them off and not rip everything apart. GOOD STUFF I TELL YA.

Now obviously it does cost more than the normal foil, but even me, being as cheap as they get LOL .... I think it's worth every extra penny. But I keep the normal stuff on hand for things that I don't worry about sticking.

I was looking for a picture of the stuff ... and found an article where they won an award in canada. LOL http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/news/news_detail.asp?pageID=241754989&newsYear=2004

Here's product info for a picture. I know that personally, it's easier for me to find a product if I've got a slight clue of what it looks like.
http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=1795

Next I'm going to try the new easy crockpot clean up stuff. Hope it lives up to my expectations!

I absolutely ADORE the release foil and use it for EVERYTHING--all it is is pregreased foil--and it can be recycled considering what you use it for. Just wrap it up and store it in your freezer to be used at a later date--saw that hint on another website. Great on the grill as well.

I am so leery of all those wraps especially since the Dupont Corporation being called on the coating that they use on the sandwich paper sheets used by all these fast food places to serve our sandwiches! The coating they use is so toxic! They claim it keeps the sandwich from getting grease all over. I'll stick with the old fashioned plastic wraps, waxed paper, freezer paper, foil and plastic bags.

they do sound like great products, but Mama Mangia raises some very good concerns.

Guess i better stop eatin the cheese that sticks to the hamburger paper LOL

I think we are all guilty of eating the cheese stuck to the paper! You may think I am paranoid - but - here is an article that I have and I will share - it is up to you to form your own opinions on this -

This article also pertains to the "coated" wrappers that are used by Mc Donald's, Burger King, etc. to prevent the grease from their sandwiches from coming through the wrapper.

The gentleman who worked for the company was discharged for bringing this to news for publication -

EPA Fines DuPont $16.5M for Teflon Cover-Up

By E.J. Mundell
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 14 (HealthDay News) -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday ordered chemicals giant DuPont to pay a record $16.5 million in penalties for withholding health safety data on toxins linked to its lucrative Teflon group of non-stick, stain-resistant compounds.

According to the EPA, seven of the eight violations in the lawsuit involved DuPont's failure over the past two decades to report important data on perfluorooctanic acid (PFOA) -- a breakdown product of "fluorotelomer" compounds that include the Teflon brand of non-stick chemicals.

"This is the largest civil administrative penalty EPA has ever obtained under any environmental statute," Granta Nakayama, EPA's assistant administrator in the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon. "The settlement sends a clear message to the regulatory community that EPA takes very seriously the requirement to submit substantial risk information about toxic chemicals."

The EPA settlement mandates that DuPont pay a $10.25 million penalty and another $6.25 million to support two EPA environmental projects, including a $5 million, three-year look at the "degradation potential" of nine of DuPont's fluorotelomer-based products to break down and form PFOA.

In a statement, Dupont noted that "the settlement closes this matter for DuPont without any admission of liability."

A second statement from DuPont senior vice president and general counsel Stacey Mobley said, "We have already cut PFOA emissions from U.S. plant sites by 98 percent, and we are committed to reducing those emissions by 99 percent by 2007."

Susan Hazen, principal deputy assistant administrator in the EPA's Office of Prevention -- Pesticides and Toxic Substances, told reporters that the jury is still out on the health effects -- if any -- of PFOA in humans.

"The agency has information based on animal studies and toxic effects in animals, [but] we have no information at this point that would lead us to believe there is a significant human health impact," she told reporters, adding that EPA-funded studies looking at PFOA's impact on human health are ongoing.

But Lauren Sucher, director of public affairs for the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit Environmental Working Group, said that research suggests PFOA collects over time in the bloodstream and takes decades to eliminate.

"There are also studies showing harm to workers, including an increased risk of leukemia, and workers with higher cholesterol levels, which is clearly a risk factor for heart disease," Sucher said.

PFOA accumulates in the blood over time. Although the EPA has not yet labeled PFOA a human health hazard, prior studies have linked the compound to increased risks for leukemia and high cholesterol.

"Whistleblower" testimony earlier this year from Glenn Evers, a former long-time DuPont scientist, also bolstered the case that the company had withheld data for years on risks posed by PFOA.

According to a recent ABC News report, DuPont officials "strongly dispute" Evers' claims, which they labeled "personal opinions that are inaccurate."

Because of their fire-, grease- and water-repellant properties, fluorotelomers have been ubiquitous for decades in products such as Gore-Tex fabric, upholstery, carpeting, paper food containers and "Teflon" non-stick cookware.

The Environmental Working Group filed a petition with the EPA more than two years ago claiming a DuPont cover-up, which in turn helped prompt the agency's lawsuit against the company.

"We're very satisfied that the EPA acted on our petition and actually sued DuPont for covering up vital health and safety information for over two decades," Sucher told HealthDay.

But she pointed out that, under existing rules, the agency could have levied fines of up to $313 million. Even that amount would be just a fraction of the billions of dollars in revenue DuPont has made from its Teflon-related products, she said.

"Given that DuPont has profited from illegal cover-ups over the past two decades, would the maximum fine have been more satisfying and a stronger deterrent? Sure," she added.

According to Nakayama, the eight counts cited against DuPont in the EPA suit included:

* failure to submit data from 1981 on the trans-placental movement of PFOA in humans,
* failure to submit data on PFOA levels in household drinking water,
* failure to reply to an EPA request for PFOA toxicity data,
* failures to submit information on elevated PFOA levels in the blood of residents living near DuPont's Washington, W. Va. Plant;
* data withheld from PFOA-related rat studies.

Nakayama said the first count was considered the most serious.

"This is the first and only information about human placental transfer and levels of PFOA in children," he said. "Human data is very rare, and information concerning PFOA in children, much less the fetus, is extremely rare and significant in researching the potential developmental effects of the chemical."

So where does all this leave consumers, who every day touch, and dine from, products containing fluorotelomer chemicals that may degrade to form PFOA?

"It's something consumers should be concerned about, but not alarmed by," Sucher said. "We'd suggest, though, that consumers definitely take opportunities to minimize exposure to these chemicals."

Those "opportunities," she added, include staying away from Teflon cookware; microwaving take-out food on a plate rather in the potentially PFOA-emitting container it came in; avoiding water- and stain-repellant clothing; and foregoing those special "stain-guard" coatings the next time you buy a carpet or sofa.

More information

For more on PFOAs, visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (www.epa.gov ) .

SOURCES: Dec. 14, 2005, Environmental Protection Agency press conference, with Granta Nakayama, assistant administrator, EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, and Susan Hazen, principal deputy assistant administrator in the EPA's Office of Prevention -- Pesticides and Toxic Substances; Lauren Sucher, director, public affairs, Environmental Working Group, Washington, D.C.; Dec. 14, 2005, Dupont press release; Nov. 18, 2005, ABC News

it is because of this article that I am very leery about all these no - NO-STICK paper products, foils, wraps, etc.

even though I have used teflon pans and t-fal, etc. in the past - I no longer use them - they got tossed with the aluminum pots years ago - and I do not buy beverages in aluminum cans either...................

ok - call me paranoid.............

Good morning Paranoid, how ya been? LOL
Yeah, I understood NONE of that. And by the way, the paper they use here doesnt keep the grease inside!

LOL rt49 - allow me to help - the papers are treated with toxic chemicals. And I know they don't stop the grease!!!! Some of these places I swear used recycled motor oil!!! One sludge-soaked sandwich coming right up in toxic treated paper - and that will be $2.59 - thank you and come again!!!! And we do..............

LOL - isn't it funny - we KNOW that eating KFC and fast foods are bad for us - but it's like we just have to have it! Sometimes I think we are worse than kids with candy!! And then we try to duplicate the recipes and we can't make them greasy, salty and bad enough to match!!!

Ya know Mama, I never thought about that. THAT must be the exact reason that all the copycat recipes never work for me. Maybe it's not actually the taste that turns me off, just the lack of grease needing to be licked from my elbows.

LOL - rt49 I get a charge out of you!! You make me smile - thanx!!!

We have a place up here (a chain actually) called Mr. Oil Change - those quickie places - and a friend of mine is always trying to duplicate McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese - so far - only the cheese has been right - but anyway - I always say - go to Mr. Oil Change and get that sludge they take out of cars for the true McD's flavor!!!

Back