What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caramel Popcorn

M

mtmomj

This is something I have recently tried and it worked really well and tasted really good, so I thought I would share it with you gals/guys. :D

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

Oooh that sounds so good! I think i will buy some popping corn tonight and attempt to make it - i will substitute coconut oil for the butter though due to allergy.

This sounds so good! Perfect for a Sat night movie, thanks :)

There's a company on the boardwalk in Ocean City MD that makes something similar to this in these huge steam kettles. They stir the popcorn into the caramel using oars! It's really good too. I can't imagine that they have a secret. I've seen the butter being tossed into the steam kettles, so this recipe looks like the real thing.

I have some children who are very deserving of this popcorn.

Back