What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do a low salt diet

B

barbiedoll1973_tn

Not over 2 grams of salt a day he is on a diabetic diet no pasta starchy food and sugar I think.

All natural and homemade cooking. There is sodium in everything I swear it. Pick up a book of food counts by Corrine Netzger. It will tell you the fat, protein, carbs, sodium, etc on everything - fresh, canned, frozen, restaurant, fast food, etc. Then make a list of the foods he likes and start substituting, preparing differently, etc.

Mrs. Dash Salt Free Seasoning Blend

1/4 cup crushed dried minced onion flakes
4 teaspoons crushed dried vegetable flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried savory
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon Kool-Aid unsweetened lemonade drink mix
Dash ; crushed dried rosemary

Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well. As you stir, crush the leafy spices for a finer blend. Store the spice blend in a covered container or a sealed shaker bottle.
Makes about 2/3 cup.

No Salt Seasoned Mix Recipe

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (for heat)
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried course ground lemon peel

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. Store in a covered container or a sealed shaker bottle.

This recipe for No Salt Seasoned Mix serves/makes 2 tbsp

NO-SALT SEASONING MIX

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried lemon peel

Crush and mix all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
Store in an airtight container. Yield 1/2 cup.

Sprinkle on your favorite vegetables and meats to taste prior to
cooking.

Funny, I was just talking with a friend who is a registered dietician about how to lower sodium in cooking. Her big suggestion was to use low-sodium or reduced sodium broths, as well as to read labels like mad. She pointed out that a frozen Weight Watchers entree may be low in calories and fat, but is crazyhigh in sodium. Geez, they get you every possible way sometimes, don't they?

Funny, I was just talking with a friend who is a registered dietician about how to lower sodium in cooking. Her big suggestion was to use low-sodium or reduced sodium broths, as well as to read labels like mad. She pointed out that a frozen Weight Watchers entree may be low in calories and fat, but is crazyhigh in sodium. Geez, they get you every possible way sometimes, don't they?

OMG you name it and it has salt in it even a egg has salt in it as of right now I have not been able to get his diet under 2 grams and they say that its better to stay around 1 gram how in the world canyou?

Yep, my dietician friend was saying that when she has to put together low-sodium meals/diets for her hospital patients, she has to work her butt off to keep it within the guidelines, and that's even with eliminating ALL added salt to a dish with a saltshaker.

It has really made me aware of picking up the saltshaker.

Back