What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doubling up recipe -- doubting myself

T

Twinmama

I'm making red beans and rice in the crockpot today. I bought double the beans called for in the recipe because we're having people over to "help" eat it and I know I will want leftovers.

Anyhow, I decided to put in double the rest of the ingredients, including the broth...I figured it was better to cover the beans with broth in the crockpot...at worst, I'll have to cook 'em longer; at best there won't be any scorched beans.

think I did the right thing?

It would be easier to see the actual recipe - but most recipes can be doubled even though there are some items - like salt, for instance - that should not be doubled. But since you bought double the beans - you probably did right.

I think you'll be fine...

Did you start with canned beans though or dry beans??

How did it turn out? I often double things 'on the fly' and it usually works out :).

I have doubled that exact recipe and it turned out great.

Then again, I don't ever measure anything; I just add liquid to cover the beans.

It turned out mostly perfect. It was slightly under-spiced, though. I think I went a bit light on the Cajun seasonings for a single go of the recipe, let alone a doubled.

I just add liquid to cover the beans.
Just what I was figuring. Great minds think alike!

Now I am letting the success go to my head and I'm thinking about making a ton of red beans and rice to feed the youth group church dinner I signed up to provide in a few weeks.

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I usually just double everything in the recipe, I don't use salt when I cook so I don't have to worry about that, and it comes out fine. It seems like everything I find that sounds good only feeds 2 or 4 people & my hubby can eat 3 thick pork chops by himself. He's a big fella & has a good metabolism. Lucky him... I just think about chocolate & I can feel my thighs getting fatter. *sigh*

That would be a great dinner for a big group. Tasty, hearty and cheap!

Red beans and rice is one of my favorite dishes. When I make it I make a large pot that my husband and I can have for dinner and/or lunch for several days after. You should always start with dry beans and soak them first. I recently found an ethnic store that sells red beans. I have found that I actually prefer these red beans to regular kidney beans since they are smaller and more round. They have the same consistency as the regular kidney beans and work well for my red beans and rice recipe.

Back