What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPRING ASPARAGUS with ANCHOVIES & GARLIC

B

ButterSticks

Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Red pepper flakes to taste
1 pound asparagus, washed, woody ends broken or cut off, then cut in one-inch lengths, tips put aside
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or you can mince anchovy fillets

Heat the oil until shimmery on MEDIUM HIGH in a skillet large enough to mostly hold the asparagus in a single layer. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook a minute, stirring constantly. Add the asparagus spears (leave the tips out for now), water and anchovy paste and stir gently but thoroughly to disperse the anchovy. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM, add the asparagus tips. Continue to cook, stirring often, until asparagus reaches desired level of doneness - my preference is a shade past tender-crisp.

I love asparagus, but I have never tried it with anything else but salad dressing. I may give this a try, once and a while.

Back