What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you determine time in the oven

L

littlefranciscan

Hi ..

Is there amount of time you can determine to place a turkey in the oven..

What is the amount of time per pounds?

What is the time for cooking chicken livers? The amount need to kill all bacteria.?

While 165* F. is the minimal internal temperature of cooked poultry for killing salmonella, bacteria, etc., I prefer my turkeys cooked until the meat practically falls off the bone! In my oven at 350* F. I can cook a 12 - 15 lb. turkey (unstuffed or course - I make dressing on the side) in 5 to 6 1/2 hours and an internal temperature of 185* F. It is still moist and juicy and not dried out and I never have to worry about anyone getting sick from it.

Thanks!! I think I like my bird cooked..Now, my cats might prefer it a little cooler..Any good dressing recipes? Would I find that in the recipe forum?

Corn Bread Stuffing

(8 cups)

4 cups finely crumbled corn bread
4 tbsp butter
2 cups finely chopped onions
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 turkey gizzard
1 turkey liver
1 turkey heart
1 cup finely chopped sweet green peppers
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1 cup canned cream-style corn
2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
1/4 lb (about 2/3 cup) finely cubed Gruyere or cheddar cheese
2 eggs, well beaten
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup rich turkey or chicken stock

Crumble corn bread and set aside.

Heat butter in deep skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onions are wilted.

Trim tough membranes from gizzard, liver and heart. Finely chop soft parts. There should be 1/3 to 1/2 cup. Add to onion mixture and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes.

Add green peppers and celery and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand briefly. Add parsley, corn bread, corn, hard-cooked eggs. Blend well. Add salt and a generous grinding of pepper. Add broth and blend well.

Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing

8 - 10 cups stale bread cubes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery, with leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (or any mixture of sage, savory, thyme, marjoram, etc.)
Hot broth or water

For a soft moist dressing, use fresh or slightly stale bread. For a lighter fluffier dressing, use quite stale or dried bread.

Melt butter in a frying pan. Add onion and celery, and cook until softened but not browned.

Combine butter mixture with breadcrumbs and seasonings.

If desired add some broth or water for a moister dressing.

Stuff the turkey, and roast.

Makes enough for an 8 to 10 pound turkey.

OLD-FASHIONED CORNBREAD DRESSING

2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 eggs beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, melted
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
12 slices day old bread, crumbled
2 to 2 1/2 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine cornmeal, 2 eggs, buttermilk, and melted bacon drippings, stirring well.
Place a well-greased 10-inch cast iron skillet in a 450 degree oven for 4 minutes or until hot. Remove skillet from oven; spoon batter into skillet. Bake at 450 for 35 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned. Cool; crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add sautéed vegetables and remaining ingredients to crumbled cornbread, stirring well. Spoon dressing into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 350for 25 to 30 minutes.

8 servings.

HINT One (10-3/4 ounce ) can of chicken broth and 1 cup of water may be substituted for homemade chicken broth. (It's best to use the broth from your turkey/chicken).

Dressing may be spooned into turkey/chicken cavity. Spoon any remaining dressing into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole; bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Potato Stuffing

(about 7 cups)

1/4 lbs butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp sage
2 medium onions, quartered
1/4 cup parsley clusters
6 cups diced cooked potatoes (see note)

Place butter, salt, pepper, sage, onions and parsley in food processor. Blend until smooth.

Pour sauce over potatoes and mix lightly.

NOTE: Select potatoes that are of the same size so that the cooking time will be the same for all. Wash them well, cover with water, and add 2 tsp salt for each quart of water. Cook until tender. Peel and dice.

Sausage Stuffing

(10 cups)

8 cups cubes of day-old bread with crusts removed
1/2 lb sausage meat
1 cup finely chopped onions
3/4 cup finely chopped celery, including leaves
1/4 lb butter
1 tsp sage
3/4 tsp thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Spread bread cubes on baking sheet and bake until dry. Do not brown.

In skillet cook the sausage meat, stirring, until it loses colour. Pour off most of the fat.

Saute onions and celery in butter and reserved fat until onions are transparent. Add sausage, bread cubes, herbs and seasonings. Mix well and let cool.

Chestnut Stuffing

(12 cups)

8 cups chestnuts
6 cups beef stock
2 onions, chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 lbs sausage meat
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp sage
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup cognac

Cut gashes in flat side of each chestnut. Cover the chestnuts with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool. Remove the shells and inner skins.

Cook chestnuts in stock 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving stock for soup. Chop half the chestnuts coarsely and mash the rest. Set aside.

Cook onions in butter until golden brown. Add sausage and seasoning and cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes. Add to the chestnuts.

Soften the crumbs in milk or water. Press out the excess liquid and add to the chestnuts. Add the cognac and mix well.

I like mine cooked until it falls off the bone also. And it takes about the same amount of time for my oven though I find it is a lot moister using a baking bag. I used to think that was cheating, but have really grown to like them. I have never had a dry turkey since I started using them. And I can roast them until they are done and falling apart.

littlefranciscan, never ask Mama for a recipe... She'll give you a cookbook of them. LOL.

Saying that, I have to admit that I've used quite a few of her recipes and loved them. She definitely knows how to cook.

Thanks for the tidbit

I thank you for the tidbit..

I do like recipes..so as long as they are not too long..I am grateful for them..

Sometimes I day dream in between the lines of novels..so if something is too lengthy I try to drink some coffee..before attempting to dive in.

phoenyxstarr - I'm bad - I know. But I do enjoy sharing and I know that not everyone has the same tastes so I try to give an assortment. But thank you for a wonderful compliment - I hope someone enjoys some of my recipes!

I always cook mine really low I think maybe 300 degrees or something like that I always leave mine in there for gosh it was 5 to 8 hours I think. Bad memory I can't remember how long but it was along time.

I like the crispy skin on a turkey, although my cardiologists is not happy about this lol. I think cooking in a bag tends to make the skin soagy, but not all people like the skin as I do.This year we a having a non traditional thanksgiving, I am making a cherry dressing stuffed beef tenderloin for something different. We also will have garlic mashed potatoes with beef finishing sauce. Yummmmmmmm

sounds good loubear!

do you like the skin because of the flavor?? if so - maybe try injecting or brining your bird the next time - gives more flavor

I'll have to check my cookbook. I have a whole chart that says what temperature to cook it at & how long. So as soon as I check that, I'll post how long it says that you're supposed to cook it.

Back