What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you keep your recipes?

B

ButterSticks

Where do you keep your recipes? Besides in your head! :p In a box? In a book/binder? In a folder on your computer?

I'm trying to cook more and am getting a lot of recipes from people so I want to keep them altogether!

Thanks!

I have a "recipe" folder on my desktop. Inside are folders with all the different categories of recipes. I have another folder called "recipes to try". Inside it also has folders with all the categories and I place new recipes I want to try in it. If they are good...then I transfer them to my recipe folder.

sadly, I keep mine all over the place. In folders on the computer, printed copies in binders, on recipe cards, on little scraps of paper that I swear some day will become printed out and put in folders in binders but, never do, in my head.... I'm so not an organized person!!! LOL

2 laptops packed with recipes, 1 regular computer packed, tons of disks and cd's, and a complete library of books..................I think I need professional help.............

My most often-used ones end up in a binder. Those are the ones I print from online or from attachments that people send me.

I also have a recipe box that I have had since I was about 8 years old. I keep it out of sentimental value, but am in the process of typing out the recipes in it and transferring them to the binder.

Then I have all my cookbooks, and I have not figured out a good system for them, as I often have trouble remembering which book a certain recipe is in.

I keep them in clear pages in a binder, organized by type with little tab dividers :). The binder sits with my other cookbooks on a shelf in our china cabinet.

I mostly keep them in my head. :p As Rachel Ray says, eyeball it! ;)

That being said, I do make a few things that you absolutely have to follow a recipe for (baking is a science :p), and I keep some of those recipes in a notebook and others stuffed between the pages of a cookbook that has been passed down through the generations. My Grandmother's tea cake recipe still resides in the cookbook, probably inbetween the same pages she stuck it in 60 years ago!

I have the hand written recipe book from throughout the years from my grandma.

I also write new recipes on index cards and put little tabs on the top of some of them for sections and keep them in a little recipe box.

I still have my mother's recipe box, as well as a notebook that she and my grandmother handwrote recipes in. They are treasures to keep. But other than that I keep them in my head or on little scraps of paper here, there and everywhere. I would really love to get them organized and in one spot.

sadly, I keep mine all over the place. In folders on the computer, printed copies in binders, on recipe cards, on little scraps of paper that I swear some day will become printed out and put in folders in binders but, never do, in my head.... I'm so not an organized person!!! LOL

I'm not alone!!!! I have recipes on the computer (most I got here :p ), some I have printed off & put in a 3-ring binder in document protectors (to protect them from splatters), and I get the Kraft Food & Family Magazine. I try to keep them all organized, but sadly, I cannot.

I don't trust storing my recipes on computers after losing a hard drive so I store my recipes on paper along with cookbooks. When I get a good online recipe, I print it out, and chop it up as small as possible.

I started a food blog and took pictures of the stuff I cooked.

The recipes I try are usually easy Asian recipes so that makes it easier to type them out. I'll give credit to the owner of the recipe if I got it from somewhere online.

Having it online makes it easier for me to look for a specific recipe using keywords.

http://www.simcooks.com

simcooks: Nice Looking blog! It that Spring Roll Recipe a Vietnamese spring roll? I had a friend that made killer spring rolls, but lost touch with her. A couple a years ago, I cut a spring roll recipe out of the paper around the Chinese New Year, which was a Vietnamese version, but I lost it. I think the Vietnamese add carrots, or at least something that is orange.

I don't trust storing my recipes on computers after losing a hard drive so I store my recipes on paper along with cookbooks. When I get a good online recipe, I print it out, and chop it up as small as possible.

You wouldn't believe the number of people I've run into that store all of their digital pictures on a computer and then the drive fails. Gone. Computers work great when working, but when things go south and you need to get back something it's never easy. That's true even when you have a good backup of the disk. So I wouldn't bet my recipe list on my hard drive and keep them on paper!

I have to agree with Dr. Pepper about not storing my good recipes on the computer since you never no when your computer will decide to stop cooperating with you. I have a box that has recipes from my mom. I also have lots of recipes that just sit on top and next to the box. Maybe one day I will have time to put them in the recipe box.

simcooks: Nice Looking blog! It that Spring Roll Recipe a Vietnamese spring roll? I had a friend that made killer spring rolls, but lost touch with her. A couple a years ago, I cut a spring roll recipe out of the paper around the Chinese New Year, which was a Vietnamese version, but I lost it. I think the Vietnamese add carrots, or at least something that is orange.

Thanks oldbay!

Vietnamese spring roll: they usually have carrots, shrimp and rice vermicelli in them and definitely no turnip! I think they use rice paper (they call it 'banh trang') versus the spring roll pastry sheets I use.

I love Vietnamese spring rolls with their sweet dipping sauce. If I can find a good recipe, I'll blog about it and ping you :)

Oops, I think I have gone completely off tangent to the topic in discussion here :p

Asian Recipes (Mostly!) | Cooking Tips | Good Eats

Sorry, but all my recipes are in my head. In fact, I recently tried to write one down and found that I could not. I know how to make all of them, but I don't measure anything and have no idea how to tell someone how to make something without showing them.

Back