What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potato Soup

B

ButterSticks

(The ingredients in parentheses are if you want to make a vegan soup.)

1 T butter (olive oil)
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large leek, sliced
1 1/2 C carrots, sliced
6 medium potatoes, cut in bite size pieces
3 cans chicken broth (vegetable broth)
8oz half & half or 1 can evaporated milk - optional
1 T dried parsley
1/2 t ground celery seed
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat butter or oil in stockpot over medium heat. Saute celery, onion, leek, and carrots until browned lightly. Add broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for about 10 min. Add potatoes, increase heat, bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are done to your desired firmness. Add seasonings and half & half (if desired).

I've never used the half & half - I just put about 1/3 of the soup into the blender, puree it, and add it back to the pan. Makes it nice and creamy without adding dairy. However, this recipe is from my mom, and she prefers it with the dairy and also likes to grate a little cheddar cheese into the soup. So, however you like it!

I love potato soup, especially the cream version.

You could mix up this recipe by adding diced ham to the recipe. This works especially well with holiday ham leftovers. ;)

Hmmm...That sounds really good. I've never had potato soup like that before. The potato soup my dad always made had macaroni in it.

Back