What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toast pumpkin seeds?

J

Jean Doherty

I know there is something I can do to make pumpkin seeds edible. I am a teacher and would love to cook these up for my 4 year olds to try. What do I do?

I usually just stick them on a cookie sheet and bake till crispy with a little salt.

PUMPKIN SEEDS

Extract sees from pumpkin.
Separate and discard pulp.
Thoroughly wash seeds in warm water.
Spread seeds out onto a cookie sheet.
Sprinkle generously with salt.
Put into oven and bake at 350* f. approximately 20 minutes.
Check every five minutes and stir, adding more salt or to taste.
Check seeds to see if they are done by taking a sample out, allowing to cool and tasting. If the insides are dry, they are done.
Allow to cool and serve.

VARIATIONS:

Cheesy Pumpkin Seeds- sprinkle with Cheesy popcorn seasoning.
Tex-Mex Style- Sprinkle powdered Taco seasoning onto the seeds. This is better mixed in a bowl first. Add more red pepper powder for a really hot seed!
Cajun style- Mix seeds in a bowl with a packet of cajun seasonings mix. If you like it really spicy, add extra hot sauce.
Garlic Salt- REALLY GOOD!

Hmmm...thanks. I never knew how to bake them before either.

I usually do the same as BensMom. They turn out great for me. We are huge pumpkin seed fans around here.

The hardest part is getting all the pumpkin goop off them before putting them on the baking sheet!

My daughter wanted me to bake the seeds from her Halloween Jack-o-Lantern, but she left all the pumpkin 'guts' (her words, not mine) outside all night & I wouldn't do it the next day. Silly girl.

Ah, ive never actually tried the pumpkin seeds.
Although the Cajun Style up there sounds really good.

Back