What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cookbook preference

S

simcooks

Do you prefer cookbooks with colorful meal pictures and sometimes showing a picture of the ingredients as well or just the wordy kind with very few pictures?

To me it doesn't matter - pictures are nice to look at but it doesn't necessarily mean that the recipes are any good. I judge all cookbooks by the recipes - not the pictures. Some of my best cookbooks have no/very little pictures in them. What good is a picture when the recipe is no good?

To me it doesn't matter - pictures are nice to look at but it doesn't necessarily mean that the recipes are any good. I judge all cookbooks by the recipes - not the pictures. Some of my best cookbooks have no/very little pictures in them. What good is a picture when the recipe is no good?

Erm... how do you tell if a recipe is good by just looking at the ingredients?

Brought up in the kitchen, cooking for over 50 years, come from a long line of chefs, pastry chefs, cooks; ran restaurants, delis and catering businesses - it's in my blood. I can also spot the errors in cookbooks and magazines in their recipes. Can't explain it - it's a natural thing.

Brought up in the kitchen, cooking for over 50 years, come from a long line of chefs, pastry chefs, cooks; ran restaurants, delis and catering businesses - it's in my blood. I can also spot the errors in cookbooks and magazines in their recipes. Can't explain it - it's a natural thing.

Heh! The expert spoke :)

I have a food "dictionary" which is useful for referencing ingredients used in Western cooking, but I have not come across a food dictionary for Chinese cooking, so sometimes I do not know in what form the ingredient is sold as.

So, for me, as a 3-year old cook, I usually go for cookbooks with pictures and better still, if they sometimes have pictures of the ingredients.

I prefer pictures as well. I'm a lifelong cook and a good one if I do say so myself, but it just helps a lot to see how things might look together, and also with some more difficult recipes it's helpful to see how the writer intended it to look when finished.

I like the cookbooks with pictures. That way when I am just flippng through something will catch my eye. :p

All of my favorite cookbooks are picture-less. I can tell by just reading the recipe if I/my family will like it. It doesn't hurt that the cookbooks I tend to go for are usually put together by members of the community and tend to be more "tried and true" type recipes.

I give my bows to Mama Mangia. I never knew anyone who can spot errors in cookbooks. Me, I just flip through the pages of cookbooks and try whatever recipe that looks good. That means, I like cookbooks with pictures. I am just lazy to read every recipe before deciding which one to try.

I prefer thekind with pictures as well. I am a pretty good cook, I just hate to spend a lot of time doping it, and I like to know what soemthing looks like before I try it myself. Just my thing.

I prefer the ones with the pictures. I actually prefer to use the cards instead of the books, but I will use books periodically. That's just me though.

Back