What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I chop vegetables real fine?

G

galinaqt

I always have trouble chopping vegetables like potato, onions for salads real fine. What's the trick?

I use a good chopping knife with no trouble, just cut into workable sizes, place on cutting board and chop away (easiest if you do not lift the point of the knife blade) and you can chop quite a bit in no time.

You are welcomed! You need a sharp knife and one that is big enough that you can use comfortably :)

For me I use a Henckels knife that I bought from Target.

-------
yich
Welcome to my cooking blog

pieces alaways stick to each other

Cutted pieces always stick to each other, somehow I didn't cut them to the very end. Does it happened to you?

oh that video helps a lot. Thanks! I think I understand now.

Cutted pieces always stick to each other, somehow I didn't cut them to the very end. Does it happened to you?

Yeah the sticking happens to me too. I only have a small chopping board, so I cannot be like the Iron Chefs who just continue chopping and let the pieces fall onto the chopping board. I just use my impeccably clean hands to push away the pieces from the knife, then continue chopping.

Only for mincing garlic do I see people put a bit of salt onto the crushed garlic and then chop them. The salt prevents the minced garlic from sticking onto the knife.

For the ends of vegetables like carrot and cucumber, I throw them out. For potatoes and onions, at the ends, I just turn them, flat side down and continue chopping.

-------
yich
Welcome to my cooking blog

To cut realy fine, I cut the way I usually do....fingers curled under, only I cut slower and pay particular attention. As was stated above, I don't life the knife all the way off the cutting board.

Back