What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iced Tea

M

mtmomj

I'd love to hear how you make iced tea/sun tea. When I make mine there is always too much sugar or not enough. How many teabags do you use? Any specific brand?

Well, my hubby always makes the tea, so I'll have to double check some things with him to make sure I'm telling this right. LOL But I believe we use 4 teabags. I know we use Red Rose tea. I think he puts in 3/4 cup of sugar. That's the pard I have to check on. LOL We make our tea in the coffee maker. That makes it so much easier. :)

I never heard of making it in a coffee maker, makes sense! I'll have to try that next time.

Several years ago I worked at a place that had offices in the UK. The English are big on tea, and they were surprised to hear of iced tea. I can see them having coronary over the canned Lipton Iced tea, but iced tea made from scratch is quite nice. Snapple, Honest Tea, and others learned that & made a nice niche market for themselves.

I like to make tea the old fashioned way. So to make 2 quarts of iced tea, I add 2 quarts of water to a 3 quart pot, bring the water to a boil, then add 8 to 10 tea bags. I allow the tea bags to steep for 4 minutes then, remove them from the pot, add a cup of sugar, stirring it in (I'm a purest and believe in real sugar), and then let the pan cool. Serve the iced tea over ice with lemon juice or a slice of lemon, lime, and I simply love iced tea with fresh mint.

For sun tea I use 2 large tea bags (Luzianna makes large tea bags for iced tea) and a gallon of water in a glass jar (the ones with the dispenser on the front for pouring) and refrigerate. I don't let it sit out - I have this thing about bacteria and stagnant water. In a couple hours it is done. If I am out of the big tea bags I just use 6 to 8 regular tea bags.

I use an electric perculator to make my morning tea most of the time - using Lipton or Constant Comment loose tea. I drink a couple cups of hot tea and the rest gets poured into a glass pitcher and refrigerated for iced tea.

The tea is not sweetened until it is poured into my glass and I add lemon or orange slices.

I never heard of making it in a coffee maker, makes sense! I'll have to try that next time.

Yes, it's really very easy. I don't recomend making it in a coffee maker that you've made coffee in though. Your tea might come out tasting like coffee. LOL

I keep plenty of it on hand. It's the only one that I really like. I'll drink regular iced tea, but i LOVED the peach-flavored one far better!!

Iced Tea is a staple in this Household.And I have a coffee pot that I only use it to make tea in.
I have a Coffee pot to to make coffee....lol...gotta have my Java too.

I used to drink lemon-flavored iced tea, but to me, that's too tangy and tart!

i tried peach-flavored one time, and i became hooked on it forever!! Won't even drink the plain one.

Back