What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

baked stuffed french toast

L

loubear

Does anyone know how to make a great stuffed french toast that is not soggy?:( I would like it to be slightly crisp and full of flavor, without being mushy:( Thanks ahead of time for help with this issue:)

once again - is your oven up to temp?? and are you uncovering it before you bake it? and do you let is rest for 10 minutes before you plate it up? is the recipe you are using one that is prepared the night before, covered, refrigerated and baked the next day (casserole style) or is the french toast dipped in the coating and baked the same day? if so you may be soaking it too long.

The recipe is one that is supposed to be refrigerated the night before. I will be purchasing a oven thermometer to see how far off my temp is, again thanks for your input.

you're welcomed - but once again - your oven is not the greatest either from what you said in the COOKIES post.

hopefully an oven thermometer can help

I've never had stuffed frech toast, I'll have to give that one a try!

Baked French Toast

12 slices firm white bread
6 large eggs
2 cups while milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 generous pinches kosher salt
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground black or white pepper optional
1/2 cup toasted walnuts optional

Arrange four pieces of bread side-by-side in a square baking dish just big enough to hold them in a single layer and deep enough to hold three stacked slices. Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them until they are smooth. Add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and mix well. Pour a third of the custard over the bread, set a layer of bread on top, cover with half of the remaining mixture, add the remaining slices of bread and top with the rest of the custard. Use a spatula to press down on the bread so that it absorbs the custard. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, butter, maple syrup and pepper. Fold the walnuts into the mixture. Spread the topping over the bread and bake for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, cover and let rest 15 minutes before service.
Makes six to eight servings.

Baked French Toast

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. margarine
2 Tbsp. lite corn syrup
5 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. nuts (optional)
1 loaf of French Bread, sliced

Heat brown sugar, margarine and syrup until melted together. Pour into 13x9 pan. Arrange bread in a single layer in pan. Beat eggs, add milk and sugar and pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let set 5 minutes before serving. You absolutely will not need syrup for this French Toast. It's delicious!!!

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

Ooooh! That looks like a really good recipe. I haven't had French Toast in so long. Maybe I'll try this recipe soon.

Ooooh! That looks like a really good recipe. I haven't had French Toast in so long. Maybe I'll try this recipe soon.

Apple Stuffed French Toast

1 loaf Italian bread -- or French bread
1 can apple pie filling -- or peach, cherry, etc.
2 eggs
milk
butter
confectioner's sugar
cinnamon butter -- for serving

Cut bread into THICK slices - about 1 1/2"; on the bottom, cut a pocket (be careful not to slice through the sides or all the way to top of bread - you want a pocket); if using apple or peach pie filling, dice so pieces are not so large (just put scissors in can and snip away - it doesn't have to be perfect);

Carefully stuff each piece of bread with filling -you may stick one or two toothpicks straight thru just to hold until you start cooking.

Mix egg and milk together; dip each stuffed pocket in the egg/milk mixture, turning to ensure both sides are soaked.

While pockets are soaking, melt butter in pan; when heated and pockets have soaked up enough egg/milk mixture, transfer to heated pan and cook on both sides til golden.

Transfer to plate; dust with confectioners sugar; top with a dollop of cinnamon butter; serve with warmed maple syrup -- although you won't need much, as the pie filling gives a nice sweet flavor.

Banana-Stuffed French Toast

16 Slices cinnamon-rasin bread
1/2 C. whipped cream cheese
4 large bananas, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 stich butter ( unsalted suggested- I used salted)
6 eggs
3/4 C. milk
1 t. vanilla
pinch of salt (Kosher suggested)
1/2 C. warm maple syrup for serving

Preheat oven to 225

1. Lay 8 slices of bread on a work surface and spread 1 side of each with cream cheese. Top each with slightly overlapping banana slices. Cover with remaining bread to make sandwiches.

2. Melt 2 T. butter over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Meanwhile, in a large, shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and salt with a fork. Dip f sandwiches into egg mixture to soak both sides, about 5 sec. (don't over soak). Lay sandwiches in skillet and cook, turning until browned, about 5 minutes one side and 3 the other. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. When done, transfer to oven racks; don not stack. Serve hot with warm syrup.

BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST

12 slices day old bread, crusts removed
16 oz. cream cheese
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
12 eggs
2 c. milk
1/3 c. maple syrup or honey

SAUCE:
1 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. water
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 T. butter

Cut bread into 1-inch cubes; place half in grease 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes; place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread cubes. Beat eggs; add milk and syrup; mix well. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover; Bake 350* F. for 30 minutes; uncover; bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until center is set. Combine sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth; bring to boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in blueberries; reduce heat. Simmer 8 to 1o minutes or until berries have burst. Stir in butter. Serve with French toast. Makes 1 ¾ c. sauce.

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

3/4 cup evaporated skimmed milk, undiluted
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
8 slices cinnamon raisin bread
2 Tbsp butter

Put evaporated milk, egg, vanilla and salt into a shallow bowl; beat with a fork until well-blended. Dip slices of bread into mixture one at a time, turning to coat both sides. Choose a nonstick skillet that measures 9 to 10 inches across the bottom. Heat over moderate heat, adding 1 Tbsp of the butter. When melted, add 4 slices of the dipped bread and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove to warm platter or plates and keep warm while you cook remaining bread. Suggestion: Garnish with a few strawberries and banana slices. Sift a little confectioner's sugar over the toast. Serve with honey or with apricot pourable fruit.

French Toast Loaf

2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half
4 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups bread cubes (see note below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 5- by 9-inch loaf pan with
nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients
except the bread cubes; mix well. Stir in the bread cubes and
allow to sit for 10 minutes, or until all the liquid has been
absorbed. Spoon into the loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes,
or until golden. Remove from the pan; slice and serve.

These are some really good recipes. My kids love french toast. I think I am going to try one of these recipes for our Chrismas day breakfast. I think I will try the apple cinnamon recipe.

Thanks for posting the recipes Mama Mangia. I think Im gonna try the second one first, it's the simplest. This is the first time Im gonna try this, hopefully it'll work out alright :D

French Toast Loaf

What an awesome Idea....our church makes food for people that are sick and this would be a nice breakfast food to take our to them.

Thanks for all the great French toast recipes Mama Mangia, I am going to have to try one this weekend. My son loves French toast. He will be thrilled.

Oh my goodness, they look like so much work, lol! I've always just mixed some cinnamone in egg/milk and then fried it in butter. LOL, I guess I need to step it up a bit.

Mama you really have my taste buds jumping. It just so happens that I have bread, eggs, milk, etc and will have to make some french toast tomorrow for breakfast. I love to finish my french toast off with some 100% real maple syrup.

Mama you really have my taste buds jumping. It just so happens that I have bread, eggs, milk, etc and will have to make some french toast tomorrow for breakfast. I love to finish my french toast off with some 100% real maple syrup.

You sound like me! I absolutely love pure maple syrup - much, much better than regular pancake syrup! For certain French toast recipes I prefer to sprinkle confectioners' sugar on top - the rest - pure maple syrup! Unless I do something chocolaty! Then it's chocolate syrup and whipped cream - I can be so bad sometimes that it is good! LOL

Back