What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turkey popper

M

mtmomj

I don't know the technical name for this - so I call it a popper. The thing that comes already in your turkey to determine when it is cooked.

Do you go by the popper on the turkey? Do you trust it?

I don't trust the popper at all - and I dig it out immediately. I don't care for baked plastic in my food. Just because it pops up it doesn't mean the turkey is done. So my turkey looks like it has a bullet hole in it - LOL.

I usually leave the popper in, but I don't usually trust it. I don't have an internal thermometer to check my meat so I usually go by touch (firmness) and time vs temp vs size of whatever I'm cooking.

After mtmomj started this post - I thought about it - this year, for the heck of it, I left the popper in the bird - and I watched it. Sure 'nuff - after the popper popped up I checked the internal temp which was way under and I had to roast dear Tom Turkey another 2 1/2 hours!

Back