What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canning

V

vp311

Ok, who can give the low down on canning? I've never canned anything, and am interested in giving it a try w/ some fresh vegitables out of the garden next year.

I do a lot of canning and it would be best if you were to either invest in The Ball Book of Canning (probably around $7) or contact your extension university or a government agency.

You will need a canner (large pot with rack), the canning tongs for removing the jars when done, glass jars, lids and rings.

Depending on the type of food(s) you want to can, the size of the jars (half pint, pint, quart or 1 1/2 quarts) will depend on how long they are to be in the canner.

Everything needs to be sterilized to prevent bacteria from setting in.

If your jars do not seal properly - you may need to try it again or opt for freezing (depending on the food).

Some veggies need to be blanched first.

It's a great thing to do - please don't get me wrong - but there is a lot of detail involved for your canned products to turn out right. The Ball Book is a great book and it can tell you so much and is packed with recipes.

It's too much detail to get into right now - but if you get the book and read it and have questions - then it is easier to help you.

Canning does take some work to get it right but the benefits of enjoying your harvest long into the winter months is worth it. Mama is right you should purchase a copy of The Ball Book of Canning. I have a copy and it is a good guide for the novice as well as the experienced caner. Also having the proper equipment makes it easier as well.

I really like making my own raspberry or strawberry jam. As far as vegetables I have canned tomatoes, green beans, and fresh salsa.

I agree; there are some good books out there and they can probably be found at a used bookstore or someplace cheap. I would seek their advice.

I have not canned veggies before, but I have made strawberry jam which turned out pretty tasty.

I must be from another planet. I never thought about canning veggies. I love to make jams from strawberries or peaches. I will defiently have to try doing veggies. Are some veggies better than others to do?

lcsamano - some may take a little longer to prep for canning - but once you start to can your own veggies - you may never want to buy canned beggies again!

Great, Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Ball Book of Canning. Thanks everyone!

Like was mentioned, your county extension office should be able to help you with that sort of thing too. I got my start canning through 4-H when I was very young and the booklets and info from the ext office was easy to read and understand, even at a young age.

Sterilizing everything and doing everything properly is very critical in canning. Otherwise, you might be at-risk for food poisoning, botulism. It is deadly.

Back