What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do you put up your x-mas tree?

B

barbiedoll1973_tn

I normally put my tree up yesterday LOL the day after Thanksgiving but this year I am not much in the x-mas mood I guess its because of my husband being so sick it kinda makes for a bad time.. But anyways not my son has a virus and is sick this started just today but if he gets to feeling better maybe we can put the tree up today..OH gosh what about the baby he will tear it down LOL now thats another problem.

We usually go to a Christmas Tree Farm and cut a fresh tree the weekend 2 weeks before Christmas. That was we know it's fresh and won't drop it's needles. 10 years ago or so, we strayed and bought one from a Christmas tree stand by the side of the road. We put it up, and two days later it was bare ... and had to get a new tree. That's was very disappointing, so we are now very committed to getting fresh trees from a local Christmas tree farm.

Incidentally, I heard on the radio this morning that the holiday Christmas tree originated from a prop in a 1490's play that was a green pyramid covered with branches and candles. The first Christmas trees were placed in homes in France in the 1600's and reached the US in the late 1790's. Christmas trees became widely used in the US in the 1860's. Glass ornaments were made by glass blowers in Germany during the 1860's and became the rage in America during the 1880's. The 1880's were also the time that tinsel was invented, and it was originally made of silver, which even though it tarnished quickly became very popular by 1910. Nowadays, tinsel is made from mylar. That's it for today's history lesson on Christmas trees :) At least that's all I remember!

We usually put the tree up the weekend after thanksgiving. However, as of right now it isn't up. I guess since we have all been busy and some of the kids not being home we haven't done it as of yet. Hopefully we will get it up before X-mas...LOL

I usually don't put the tree up until MUCH closer to Christmas, but this year we have a little one (10.5 months) and I couldn't wait to see his reaction to the tree. So, after my major shopping spree on Friday, I took Saturday to put up the tree and get it all decorated before going to a Christmas parade and to see Santa that night.

Now that it's put up, I'm glad I did it so early. It's help me get a little more in the spirit and it's just one less thing that has to be done later!

We put up the Christmas tree when it reached the "-ber" month. So September until January 2. Christmas season is pretty early in our country.

We usually put our Christmas tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year however we put it up the weekend before Thanksgiving because we were going to my mother-in-law's for Thanksgiving, which is a 4 hour trip one-way. Hubby & daughter did get to put up the in-laws' tree for them, so he was happy that we hadn't completely messed up his Thanksgiving ritual. I swear, when it comes to the Christmas season that man is such a big kid. :D

phoenyxstarr....I wish my hubby were like that. Trying to get him in the Christmas spirit is like trying to pull teeth. I usually end up putting the tree up myself every year and if I do get him to help, he complains about how much he doesn't like Christmas trees, decorating, etc. (yet he always says how pretty it looks once it's done). This year I've been a little more adament about him helping since it's the first year we have a lil punkin AND a big (7 1/2 ft) tree. I don't want the kiddo(s) growing up thinking it's mom's job to do all the decorating and tree assembly.

My kids will grow up thinking it's Daddy's & their job to put up the Christmas tree. He, for some reason, rarely lets me help put up the tree. He does that & then our oldest decorates it. She tends to clump all the ornaments & other decorations together, so he usually lets her know when the ornaments are too close or whatever. I really should take a picture of our tree to show ya'll how good it looks this year; sometimes I swear that man ought to be a professional Christmas tree decorator.

We usually put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving and take it up around New Year's. I like to enjoy it as long as possible.

This year we didn't even put up the tree at all though. :( I have been traveling a lot for work and we just didn't get to it. Next year I want to really put a lot of effort into it though.

I always put my Christmas tree up the Saturday after Thanskgiving, that is the soonest I can get it up and not trample all over Thanksgiving lol.

We didn't get our tree put up at all this year. :(

I was traveling a lot for work and we never seemed to get to it on the weekends when I was home, plus it seemed like a lot of work when I'm the one who enjoys it the most anyway, so we just blew it off. I missed it though. Next year, we're going all out!

Back