What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what to do with apples

M

medako

I have a few red delicious apples in the fridge that are starting to go soft. I don't want to throw them out, but I don't have any good ideas of what to make with them.

Any ideas?

I know that you more than likely don't have the apples anymore...LOL Have you tried making caramel apples. Or you can peel the skin and dip it into flavored jello. Then you bake them on 250 for about an hour and they taste like gummy worms.

Or you can peel the skin and dip it into flavored jello. Then you bake them on 250 for about an hour and they taste like gummy worms.

Really? Now that's something I might have to try. Maybe for the birthday party next month...it'll give the kids somethin' to snack on.

if you like apple pies or apple desserts, with an abundance of apples you can always peel, core and slice; cook with sugar, cinnamon and/or nutmeg if you want and a bit of lemon juice - just until tender - cool completely in the fridge then bottle in quart jars or quart containers and freeze (airtight) for future baking

I like to core them, slice them up and then shalllow fry in batter to make apple fritters. Served with cream or icecream they are great and simple to do!

You can try doing an apple salad. You need mayonnaise, nestle cream and cheese. Just mix all the ingredients in a bowl and if you want to make it taste sweet just add condensed milk. If you have extra hotdog on your fridge you can also add it. Cut it into bits and mix well with the rest of the ingredients.

I make apple crisp when my apples turn - you can find decent recipes w/ a basic google search!

Check out the thread on cooking appliances under crockpots...someone posted a recipe there that sounds super!

You can make a quick desert called apple crisp. Peel and slice the apples placing them in a nonstick casserole dish. Take brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and softened butter and make a crumb mixture. Place the crumb mixture on top of the sliced apples in the casserole dish. Cook for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees and enjoy. My mom made the dish allot when I was growing up and I still enjoy it today. The dish can be refrigerated and then reheated in the microwave.

we love apple crisp. :) I sometimes get in trouble because I'm likely to make it until every apple in the house is gone. For some reason, hubby doesn't think we need sweets that often. :p I think it's a great way to get the daily fruits necessary :)

You can also make fresh fruits in syrup. Just add some fruit slices on your apple like pineapple, watermelon, peach, mango and other fruits that might also be available on your ref. You can also use fruit cocktail. Then add fruit syrup. Add ice then it's ready.

Ever tried the Apple Melba Crumble. You could find the recipe on net.
It sure isn't very easy to make but once you taste it, you will know it's worth it.

Back