What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas goodies

M

medako

Are you making or baking anything yummy this holiday? What about as gifts? Do you wrap up your goodies and give them away?

I love this time of year because I get to try new recipes out on people. Sweets are the last thing we need to keep around the house, but this time of year it's a little more accepted (what if someone stops by, right? :) )

I've already started some goodies and putting them in the freezer until it's time to wrap up as gifts.

So far I've made...
peanut butter buckeyes
oreo balls

I still plan to make...
shortbread cookies
marshmallow/caramel krispies
lemon crisp cookies
banana bread
toffee
cinnamon hard candy
peanut brittle

We are having a mug and cookie exchange at work so I am baking candy cane cookies and coconut macaroons. For actually christmas I will prepare breads and more cookies. Not sure what type yet to take to my moms for all of us to enjoy.

What are oreo balls? You have intrigued me with those.

the oreo balls I made are super simple. Take a package of oreos and crush them (food processor, meat mallet, etc). Add a package of cream cheese and mix together really well. then form into balls (about 1"), stick a toothpick in them (as a handle) and then toss in the freezer for a few hours. Once they're set up good, dip them in melted white chocolate. Let them set up and remove the toothpick. Voila!

goodies

I love to make peanut brittle for my stepdad, we always go to a christmas party my mom throws and he hides the peanut brittle until everyone leaves:) I also make chocolate truffles for the party and as gifts for my brothers ,friends and for my mom. I am trying to think of what unique idea I can bring to the office christmas party. Any Idea's

another newly discovered must have cookie for Christmas is eggnog cookies. The flavor is subtle and so yummy. I'll probably make a few batches today so I can add them to the goodies baskets.

hey medako, tat sounds nice...

remember to post some photos up to share okie?
:)

I made divinity and pralines. When I took them to work with me (I'm traveling for work in CT), no one had ever heard of them. That's a crime!

I looove Christmas candy but it's such a pain that I'm glad I only make it once a year. Divinity takes as much patience as I can muster.

I always make white fruit cake. I know that fruitcake gets a lot of bad jokes but white fruitcake is totally different, and delicious.

I never heard of white fruit cake, please explain, it sounds interesting.

I love to make peanut brittle for my stepdad, we always go to a christmas party my mom throws and he hides the peanut brittle until everyone leaves:)

I love peanut brittles. We usually buy them in Baguio when we have summer vacations there. I don't know how to make it though.
I made lengua de gato for the kids who visited us this Christmas. It literally means cat's tongue but these are just wafer-thin, crisp cookies ideal to eat with ice cream.

I think giving food during Christmas is not only thoughtful but also a practical way of gift-giving. Not only it is cheaper but it also allows the receiver to feel that you're giving him or her something very personal. Every Christmas, my mother buys dozens of rolled meat. What she does is marinate it and cook it as ham, make it presentable, put it in individual decorated baskets and give it as gifts to friends.

Back