What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melting Chocolate

L

lcsamano

Is it better to melt chocolate in the microwave or use a pot add water and then put a glass bowl on top of the pot to melt the chocolate. I don't have a double pan (not sure what it is called).

It's called a double boiler.

Anyways, I usually melt my chocolate in the microwave, but be VERY careful you don't burn it. Chocolate burns really easy. I usually heat for no more than 30 seconds at a time, stir and heat some more.

funny you posted about this today...I just got finished melting chocolate and dipping oreo balls for Christmas gifts. :)

I have my original 1980's Revere stainless steel cookware set that came with a 3 quart saucepan and a 2 quart double boiler.

If I remember correct, I bought the Revereware set at Memco. Remember them? They were a membership store that sold groceries and household stuff like the Super Wal*Mart's do today. The local Memco store was bought out by Bradlees, who disintregrated a couple years later.

The current Revereware is not so good, and is made in China with significantly less stainless and copper.

I find melting chocolate in the microwave to be tricky since as mentioned above chocolate does burn easily and when burnt tastes bad. I prefer to melt chocolate on the stove with a double boiler or a make shift double boiler. The real trick to melting chocolate is start with a could quality chocolate and allow yourself enough time to complete the task.

funny you posted about this today...I just got finished melting chocolate and dipping oreo balls for Christmas gifts. :)

That sounds really good. What are oreo ball though? I think I asked in another thread. However, I can't remember which one so if you have already replied I do apologize. Oreo balls sound really delicious.

it's okay....they're really simple...

1 regular bag of oreos, crushed....mixed with 1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz), then rolled into 1 inch balls. I stick a toothpick in them and toss in the freezer to set up until firm. Dip into white chocolate using the toothpick as a handle. Let them set up and remove the toothpick.

I always use the double boiler to melt my chocolate. I think it's easier. It's less likely to get burnt if you do it that way.

Is it better to melt chocolate in the microwave or use a pot add water and then put a glass bowl on top of the pot to melt the chocolate. I don't have a double pan (not sure what it is called).

it's really better to use the later, microwave melting needs constant attention. or u can get those mini chocolate fountain? that is, if you are planning for a larger quantity for a party. :)

I use a double boiler as well. There's just too much potential for burning in the microwave.

The water in the double boiler pot is not supposed to touch the glass bowl on top.

Oh my goodness, that sounds so good! I'm going to have to try that, and soon! I've been wanting to get a double boiler; I would enjoy making things with melted chocolate.:)

it's okay....they're really simple...

1 regular bag of oreos, crushed....mixed with 1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz), then rolled into 1 inch balls. I stick a toothpick in them and toss in the freezer to set up until firm. Dip into white chocolate using the toothpick as a handle. Let them set up and remove the toothpick.

I melt in my crock pot with a thermometer so the chocolate does not reach above 86 degrees when it does I turn in off and the chocolate usually will stay at temp until I am finished with my project.

I use either the double boiler or the microwave depending on how much chocolate I am melting.

This is the first I've ever heard of oreo balls and they sound really good. I have oreos here and I am going to make some of those tomorrow actually. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I still do think using a double boiler is best to do the trick for it would not burn your chocolate and you will actually get to come up with the proper consistency of your choice which is very important I think.

Try using the the DEFROST cycle of the microwave for melting chocolate.
Takes a little longer and you will have to experiment with the time as microwaves vary a lot.

The Don

Back