What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Breakfast

L

lcsamano

What is your favorite breakfast? Mine is poached eggs on toast with bacon. If we don't have that then I love waffles. We add cinnamon and vanilla extract to the batter to give it a nice taste to it.

I'm not a big breakfast eater, but I do like waffles. I don't make them very often, but when I do, I make a BIG batch so there are plenty of leftovers.

I love a nice fresh fruit salad and a waffle. If not - poached eggs and toast. I'm trying to stay away from "fried" breakfast foods.

I really enjoy French Toast for breakfast but do not have it very often because my husband is not that fond of it. I like to add cinnamon and nutmeg to the egg and milk mixture. Then sprinkle more cinnamon on top of the slices of French Toast as they are cooking. Once the French Toast is cooked I like to use real maple syrup on top. If I do not have real maple syrup I use powdered sugar or regular sugar.

I love pecan waffles & bacon. That is by far my favorite breakfast. my next favorite is French Toast. I haven't had either one of those in a really long time though. :(

I love pancakes, but I can't seem to make good ones. So I go out to IHOP.

Speaking of breakfasts....what's everyone doing for Christmas morning? Anything special? I'm wanting to do something that's not so "everyday". I've thought about maybe pumpkin or gingerbread waffles with cream, but I'm always open to ideas...

Here's a few:

CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST

10 slices bread, buttered & cubed
1 lb. grated sharp Cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1 qt. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
10 oz. thawed chopped broccoli, squeezed dry

Spread bread cubes in bottom of greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Cover with cheese. Beat eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper and mustard. Mix. Pour over cheese. Cover with broccoli. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate 8-12 hours. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Cooked crumbled bacon on top is also very good - add before baking.

CHRISTMAS MORNING CASSEROLE

5 slices of white bread
1 1/2 c. grated cheese
6 eggs, beaten
1 lb. sausage
2 c. milk
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook and drain sausage. Place bread slices in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Pour sausage over bread evenly. Except for cheese, mix all remaining ingredients well and pour over sausage and bread. Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 or 40 minutes.

Put together the night before and place in the refrigerator, covered. Bake Christmas morning. Serves 6.

CHRISTMAS MORNING FRITTATA

1 pkg. frozen spinach
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. sliced onions or chives
6 beaten eggs
1/3 c. milk or cream
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/2 c. (2 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
1 sm. tomato, chopped

Microwave and drain spinach. In 9 or 10-inch pie pan, melt butter 45 seconds, coat pan. Add onions and saute. Spread spinach over onions.

Combine eggs, milk and seasonings and pour over vegetables. Cook uncovered 4 to 6 minutes, stopping and lifting edges a few times. Sprinkle with cheese and microwave 1 minute. Add tomatoes and serve.

CHRISTMAS MORNING CASSEROLE

(Make the night before, bake and serve in morning).
5 slices white bread, buttered
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 lb. bacon, slightly cooled and coarsely chopped
1 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 lb. mild shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash hot sauce

Trim crusts from bread and cut into cubes. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Layer ingredients as follows:

1. Bread cubes.

2. Cheese.

3. Bacon.

Mix together egg, milk, mustard, salt, hot sauce and pour over all. Refrigerate overnight. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Drain any excess grease (paper towel works well to absorb).

BREAKFAST BLOSSOMS

1 (12 oz.) can buttermilk biscuits (10 count)
3/4 C. raspberry or strawberry preserves
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Grease 10 cups in a muffin tin. Separate dough into
10 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 3 pieces or leaves. Stand
3 leaves evenly around sides and bottom of cup, overlapping
slightly. Press dough firmly together. Combine preserves and
spices. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of mixture into center of
each muffin cup. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 10-12
minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly and remove
from pan. Serve warm.

Country Breakfast Pie

6 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
3 tablespoons chopped green onion
2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
paprika

In large bowl, combine eggs and milk. Stir in cheddar cheese, bacon, onion, bell pepper and white pepper. Pour into well buttered 9 inch pie plate. Toss potatoes with salt and black pepper; sprinkle over egg mixture. Drizzle butter over potatoes; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 325F 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 6.

yum...those look good...I'll have to add a few to my "maybe" pile. :)

I like this one - it can be assembled the night before leaving the morning free for opening gifts!

Christmas Breakfast Strata

16 slices white bread, crusts removed
Thinly sliced ham
Slices of cheddar cheese (or 1 cup grated)
6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red or green pepper
1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
Dash of red pepper sauce
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup crushed cereal (optional)

Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

Arrange 8 slices of bread in the bottom of the dish.

Top each slice of bread with 1 or 2 slices of ham, and slices of cheddar cheese. You can also use grated cheddar cheese and sprinkle it evenly over top.

Cover with the remaining 8 slices of bread (so you have 8 sandwiches).

Beat eggs, add salt, pepper, mustard, onions, chopped pepper, Worchestershire sauce, and red pepper sauce. Stir in milk.

Pour the egg mixture over the sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate over night.

In the morning, melt the butter and pour over top. Top with crushed cereal, like corn flakes, rice krispies, etc. if desired. (It makes it look pretty.)

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

I know its the most important meal of the day but most days I cant handle eating in the morning. It makes me queasy for some reason. When I can handle food I like Bacon and Mushroom Omelettes or a Bagel with Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese.

I apparently have waffles set in my mind and I've found a super simple recipe for pumpkin waffles. But here's my question....hubby isn't real big on syrup...what could I top them with? Maybe whisk up some heavy cream?

You can use the traditional maple syrup or just butter - but you may want to try 1 cup sour cream mixed with 2 tablespoons light brown sugar (packed) - mix well. The sweetened sour cream goes well with both pumpkin and sweet potato pancakes.

or:

Brown Sugar Sauce
Spoon over cake for dessert or use for pancakes.

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter or hard margarine (optional)

Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Mix well.

Stir in water and vanilla. Add butter. Heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Makes a generous 1/2 cup.

Rum Sauce: Add 1/4 tsp rum flavouring

Chocolate Sauce: Add 1-1/4 tsp cocoa to sugar mixture.

Maple Cream Sauce
(2-1/2 cups)

Boil 1 cup maple syrup down to 3/4 cup. Cool. Fold into 1 cup heavy cream, whipped.

MAPLE PECAN SAUCE

1 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. chopped pecans - toasted
1/4 t. cinnamon

Cook syrup and honey in small saucepan stirring often (medium heat) stirring often until slightly thickened - about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pecans and cinnamon. Will thicken as it cools.

Maple Cream Sauce
(2-1/2 cups)

Boil 1 cup maple syrup down to 3/4 cup. Cool. Fold into 1 cup heavy cream, whipped.

This sounds super easy...I might give it a try. It'd cut the syrup since hubby isn't a big fan. He might like it with some cream though - if not, I'll eat it. :)

hey mama mangia,

thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious already! :D

My favorite breakfast is spiced sausages, fried rice and poached eggs. They are a surefire way to start my day.

I have a new favorite breakfast. My favorite breakfast now is fried rice with dried fish. The fried rice should be specially made. It should have green peas, small bits of carrots butter. I love eating this with dried fish and fresh semi-ripe tomatoes. I'm excited to have another breakfast tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't eat breakfast but I just love brekafast food.

I usually eat toast, ham, few strips of bacon, jam and butter. Heart attack!

Back